File Open vs. File Execution

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Marcin_K, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcin_K

Marcin_K Registered Member

Hello,

Can someone explain me what the difference is between 'file open' and 'file execution'? Is opening a .doc file inside of the application is a 'file execution' too or is it just a 'file open'?

I've been experiencing a very long time opening my bigger zip archives with Total Commander (I suppose it "opens" every archive for creating content list before it can display it to me) and the only solution I found is to disable 'scan on file open' together with 'scan on file creation' (the second one really speeds up my copying processes) -- therefore the only option left checked is 'scan on file execution'. I wonder if this really makes my PC far less secure.

2. OMEGA_RAZER

OMEGA_RAZER Registered Member

As far as I understand it depends on the file type. Execution is for files such as exe and msi where as open would be zip, rar and doc.

I would suggest turning scanning on creation back on and take the hit on the copying process. If ESS for some reason does miss a file when you open a zip file and you're extracting it it will most likely catch it when it is trying to be written to the disk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.