File/Folder Permissions & shares NOT restoring?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Kazoo, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazoo

Kazoo Guest

I am trying to image a data drive from my WiNT 4 Server.
    I have tried creating the image on both the server & also physically removing the drive and creating the image on a different XP machine.
    I restore the image onto a DIFFERENT drive (larger) but when i boot up the server, all the shared folders are no longer shared and all the permissions are reset.
    I have tried this with TI Enterprise Server 8 (92:cool: and also Ghost, with the same result.
    Anyone shed some light on this issue?

Thanks

Kazoo

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Kazoo,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We do apologize for the inconveniences.

Are you able to set files and folders permissions in the way you need after restoration manually?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

Try doing the restore with the boot CD instead of from within windows.

4. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

Once the permissions are reset, trying to set files and folder permissions back to what they are supposed to be can be a monumental undertaking. It's really not an acceptable workaround.

Supposing the machine or network has multiple users, and therefore multiple folders and files with different user permissions, etc. You potentially can be talking about thousands of manual permission changes. Setting permissions for one folder manually is cumbersome enough. Try doing it a hundred times. And how does one even know what the permissions are supposed to be? If you're restoring the image, apparently the partition is damaged some how, so what can you look at to see what the permissions are supposed to be? It's just not feasible in most situations. You're bound to miss a bunch of stuff.

This is a huge security risk because, if I recall, when the permissions get reset, they reset to everyone having full access to everything. This is simply too risky in my opinion.

I speak from experience because I had this same problem using the Maxtor Maxblast software to clone a small hard drive to a larger one. If I tried to do the cloning within windows, all permissions were lost and all shares were lost. If I used the maxblast boot CD to do the clone, it worked fine. Don't know if this will work with True Image, but sounds like a similar issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.