File Checker v1.3.01 Beta released

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by Paul Wilders, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

2. mapsonx

mapsonx Registered Member

Hello again Javacool

Downloaded and installed Adaware 5.8.  

Still had Filechecker 1.1 beta, but had previously removed Adaware from the watch list.

Started getting a slew of popups saying Adaware had been deleted, yada yada.

Went to see if there was an updated Filechecker to deal with the problem and downloaded v1.3.01 Beta.

Deleted the old filechecker and installed the new.

Opened it up and it still had all the items I had placed on the watch list (except Adaware), which kind of surprised me since I had previously deleted the earlier version.

Anyhow, I tried to add Adaware to the list, and this poppup up:

Run time error ‘5’

Invalid procedure call or argument

Yes, I did "stop checking" before attempting to add Adaware.

Then added Explorer.exe--no problem.

Aside from that it seems to be working, although I have yet to examine any of the advanced features.

Aint this fun!!??  :D  :p  o_O

Hang in there

J

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Very interesting...

I have not experienced, nor can reproduce, the error you are experiencing (on ANY of my machines). Nor have I received any other reports of this problem - but I'll be glad to investigate it, and try to fix it for you.

If you would not mind, could you PM me with you system specs? (i.e. Windows version, any other security software/patches, computer maker, RAM, any AV software you have, any AT software you have, etc. - also, any other software you think could be possibly causing the problem). Thanks a lot, and I hope I can get to the bottom of this.  :)

-javacool

UPDATE: Please see posts below. I believe you are having this problem because you are running Ad-Aware Checker and FileChecker at the same time. There seems to be some sort of conflict on certain people's systems between the two programs. Since Ad-Aware Checker is rather redundant, anyway, after you have added the Ad-Aware files to FileChecker, I would recommend you remove Ad-Aware Checker from your system - everything should be smooth sailing from then on! :D

4. Careful

Careful Guest

Hi. About 90 minutes ago I downloaded and installed the latest version, but still got the "msstdfmt.dll is missing" error. I checked, and it was in C:\Windows\System. o_O Should I just ignore the error message?

5. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

i can duplicate the error by having adaware checker running and then trying to ad adaware.exe to the filechecker to, also, have it ck, which, of course, would be rudundant, but, just trying to help.

6. Pretender

runtime error 5 that is, sorry.

7. javacool

Alright - I think we may be getting closer to the problem. This could simply be a conflict between Ad-Aware Checker and FileChecker (since FileChecker is based on Ad-Aware Checker, it makes sense).

Yes, that IS quite redundant. And not needed either.

Pretender - if you dont have Ad-Aware Checker running, you are still able to add adaware.exe to FileChecker with no problems, correct? If so, then the problem is simply a conflict between the two programs, and the solution would be to stop using Ad-Aware Checker and add the Ad-Aware files to FileChecker.

Thanks a lot for the information from both of you (and I look forward to your reply, Pretender).  :)

-javacool

8. javacool

Could you try rebooting? That should solve your problem. If that does not fix it, please PM me with your operating system version and any other system specs. Thanks. :)

-javacool

UPDATE: Nevermind PMing me - you aren't registered (oh well). In that case, simply feel free to post your operating system version.

9. Pretender

if you dont have Ad-Aware Checker running, you are still able to add adaware.exe to FileChecker with no problems, correct?

Yes, i did try that and it seemed to work fine. no big deal. just curious how previous poster was getting the error.

10. javacool

I am greatly in your debt.  :D

On not ONE of my computers can I duplicate this error or bug. I thank you very much, Pretender, for your diligence and thoughfulness in trying out running Ad-Aware Checker and FileChecker at the same time on your system.

I'm glad this problem can be rectified (or, at least, a cause can be found and a warning can be put up not to run Ad-Aware Checker and FileChecker at the same time) - it would be interesting to see if you and mapsonx both have the same version of Windows, as I don't really know WHY there is a conflict (although it DOES make sense since Ad-Aware Checker and FileChecker share some of the same code - although FileChecker's is much more refined).

Thanks again, and I'll put up a little notice shortly. :)

-javacool

11. mapsonx

mapsonx Registered Member

Can anyone refer my to a reliable exorcist or anti-poltergeist program??

Really bizarre. While I was preparing my reply to you, I was simultaneously keeping up with the other Filechecker responses & finally noticed your updated message to me.  

Just for the heck of it, I went back to Filechecker and re-tried adding Adaware (with no expectations it would work, since I had made no changes since the last time I talked to you).

Guess what!? It jumped right on the watch list like a Kangaroo with a hotfoot-no problem whatsoever.

The thing is, I deleted Adaware Checker from my system long ago, right after I questioned it's redundancy with Filechecker and received your confirmation of same.

A little history:  I not only, at one time, had both Filechecker & Adaware Checker running at the same time, but I originally had Adaware Checker on my Filechecker watch list.

When I originally deleted Adaware Checker from my system (after learning of the redundancy with Filechecker) & removed it from the earlier Filechecker watch list , I received warning popups that Adaware Checker had been deleted; the exact same types of messages I subsequently received that referred to Adaware.exe, but not nearly as persistent.

The earlier popups responded to the O.K. button, but still showed up on 3 subsequent bootups.  On the 4th reboot, for no known reason, they disappeared.

But, the only way to get rid of the later popups (relating to Adaware.exe) was to ctrl-alt-del and close Filechecker and a related Filechecker process (can't remember the exact designation).

Another strange thing is the way my watch list has been remembered, right up to the current version, even though I completely deleted the pervious versions before installing the next ones.

Win98se, PIII 650 IE 5.5sp2
    NAV 2000 w/latest defs.
    Script Sentry  
    VB2Java.Com Extension Manager
    StartPage Guard
    Zonealarm
    All applicable Microsoft Security updates
    Visual Basic 6.0 Runtime Module SP5 6.00.8964
    scr56en.exe

Much ado about nothing, I guess, since it is now operating, but I still wouldn't mind getting to the bottom of it.  

If there is any further info I can supply to you, please let me know.  

Gotta go.  Dan Ackroyd and Bill Murray are at the front door.   Who ya gonna call?

J

12. Careful

Careful Guest

OK ... I've got GoBack and had reverted the disk since I had an install monitor running, and needed to do other things in the mean time. I reinstalled, rebooted, clicked on the .exe, and this time got a message that msvbvm60.dll was missing. This one really is missing. And I searched my other machine for the file. Also not found.

I'm not familiar with the file, but just seeing the name makes me wonder if WSH might be required. It's uninstalled, and I have no desire to replace it. I've got W98SE, AntiVir, BOClean, Outpost, IEClean, Ad-aware 5.8, and numerous tweaks for privacy and security.

13. javacool

FileChecker does NOT require WSH. It requires some dlls included in the Visual Basic 6.0 SP5 run-time (this has nothing to do with Windows Scripting Host, in case you were wondering - and it will NOT reinstall WindowS Scripting Host on your computer). Installing the package found from Microsoft here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...s&Value=Visual Basic&Show=Alpha&Start=&Page=0.

That will fix the problem you are having. :)

-javacool

14. Careful

Careful Guest

Thanks for the information, Javacool.

15. Pretender

Good Job everyone

:rolleyes: I really enjoy trying to help people that are trying to help people! Makes my day brighter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.