File-based backup from Bootable Recovery Disk?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tuttle, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuttle

tuttle Guest

I use True Image 8, and always boot from the Bootable Recovery Disk to create an image. I see that version 10 includes a new feature that allows file-based backup (backing up selected files and directories, without having to create an entire disk image).

Does version 10 enable file-based backup from the Bootable Recovery Disk? Or, does the Bootable Recovery Disk just create images, and is it necessary to launch the installed True Image application from the PC to do file-based backup?

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

No. The Rescue CD (Linux) has the same functions as the windows version.

3. tuttle

tuttle Guest

If so, then that is a big change. In version 8, the Bootable Recovery Disk has fewer features than the installed Windows application.

4. thomasjk

Download the V10 trial version and see what happens.

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Really?

How does the rescue CD cope with scheduled backups?
    Does it allow one to backup while still booted in Windows?
    Does it have the same speed drivers as are available in Windows?
    Can backups be run without the user being present?

Or to put it another way the Recovery CD only has a small subset of what is available for backups when running in Windows.
    Look at its Title:- RECOVERY CD. That is what it is designed for and that is what it should be used for.

A download and a good read of the TI manuals would do a lot of current and future users a lot of good.
    Don't knock it till you have tried it.

Xpilot... In a bad mood day.[​IMG]

6. tuttle

tuttle Guest

Right. That's why I asked if version 10 enables file-based backup from the Bootable Recovery Disk. I looked through the manual but that answer is not apparent.

Anyone using version 10, could you please provide a definitive answer.

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

And my point is that why should one want to do any backups when rebooted from the RECOVERY CD? TI works just fine without ever leaving Windows and I have the experience of many hundreds of backups which prove it.

Version 10, as previous versions, can do file based backups. I cannot comment on the value of file based backups as I do not use them.

I use TI to recover from any disasters that might befall my hard drive. The effective way to do this is to make 100% full backups each time and then nothing gets missed out when the roof falls in !

Xpilot

8. thomasjk

As it says in the Geico commercial "Looks like someone go up on the wrong side of the rock today":D

9. tuttle

tuttle Guest

I'm not seeking an argument. I just posed the question, which so far hasn't received a definitive answer. You don't want to do what I do, and fair enough. That doesn't answer my question of whether it's possible to do what I want.

10. thomasjk

There are a number if folks who post here who do backups from the Recovery CD. One of the choices in V9 is "Files and Folders backup". I expect that V10 is similar. Did you download the Trial Version of TI10 to try it and find out? You could have figured it out by now if you did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.