FF "Choose User Profile" Window-can't use FF

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jayzzz, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I've been using Firefox (primarily) since early December, and this morning is the first time I've seen the window shown in the image attached...which gave me the result shown when I tried to be the default user. I used this site's search feature, and found one similar comment in an old thread. There was no resolution.

I'm here using IE, because I won't answer unexpected questions from software, and I'm not sure what to tell it to get it to work, anyhow. It could be some new bad thing wanting me to give it info.:ninja: It won't let me be the default user; I wonder who I've been up until now. ;)

When it happened, I was opening a site that uses Sun Java...but didn't get in and have no reason to think there's a connection. Just before, I'd found some of my SpywareBlaster protections disabled, and don't know if that's relevant or not. I'd just run scans and all were clean.

I've got XP Home, SP-1, in a Dell Dimensions 2350 w/ AVG Free, SygatePF, Ad-Aware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol, IE-SPYAD, Enough is Enough, eDexter, a HOSTS file, and a few days back, added Firefox's AdBocker.

Even if I can use Firefox again after rebooting, I'd be grateful for opinions about what may have happened to change the browser's behaviour, and who I need to be to straighten it out if it happens again. :)

Also, if I uncheck the box so it doesn't ask, will it do things behind my back, without asking?

Attached Files:

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If you see that window, Firefox crashed or is hanging up with a program. Right click on the task bar and bring up task manager, right click on Firefox and end process.

You should be able to restart Firefox with out any problems.

3. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

It took rebooting, but seems alright now. Hmmm. My first Firefox crash... :cool:

Thanks, Ron. Have you ever noticed how frequently error messages don't indicate the real problem? :)

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Error messages can be cryptic. Windows can run so much software, it's almost impossible to have a clear error message when a problem occurs.
    I have noticed, using some extensions, Firefox will hang at times. The good news is, your whole system isn't hosed.

5. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Does that happen often when FF hangs up, or was it just a general "it could've been worse" comment that I completely agree with?

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Firefox is very well behaved. :D The worst thing that can happen to your system when Firefox hangs or crashes, is--Firefox hangs or crashes.

7. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Phew! That's a relief! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.