Fedora 3 problem?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by interesteduser, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm very interested in buying a copy of TI8, but it seems to have a problem with Fedora 3 ext3 partitions.

The boot CD shows the /boot and / (root) partition as being faulty and would require a sector-by-sector copy (does that mean the whole disk, not just the used space?)

I've tested all the partitions using e2fsck and they're fine. Can I safely ignore the error? What causes it - does FC3 have a non-standard ext3 or something, as the swap partition looks OK.

It seemed to work on FC2 and RedHat9....

Also, in the Corp Workstation version, can you mount (browse) non-NTFS backups, as I've read it can only mount partitions WinXP can understand (i.e. not ext3).

I'm basically only interested in the Linux operability as I have Ghost2003 and DriveImage 7 for Windows (hehe, there's not an upgrade discount is there?!)

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, interesteduser

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

Work ok with Ferora Core 3:- Copying FC2 partitions

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. But that does not fix anything, it just says that backup/restore works OK.

Surely it's a bug (or missing feature) if I cannot do a quick backup, I have to do sector-by-sector?

Wouldn't sector-by-sector make an 80Gb image of my 80Gb drive, as apposed to the regular method that would just backup the 10Gb that is used? To me, that needs investigating....

Also, you can't seem to browse images other than NTFS?

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, interesteduser

What are you trying to fix, you was just making remarks [not bad ones] you never really said you had a problem.

I never said it was quick, all Images are backedup Sector by Sector on all OS.

Depends on what compression you chose. [if the highest, NO]

No that can only be done on Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Linux.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

5. So if all OSes are backed up sector-by-sector, then why does the error message say "...you will have to do a sector-by-sector copy..." as if that's something different to the normal method?

It's like saying, a regular backup won't work, so you'll have to do a regular backup!

I just want to know if the error is bogus, and if the you lose anything (speed?) by doing sector-by-sector.

6. OK, so I've found that sector-by-sector is not the standard way of doing it, sector-by-sector loses the ability to resize the partitions and some other stuff.

After some further research I've found that Fedora 2 and 3 uses some new functionality in ext3 that PM8, TI8 and even parted doesn't support yet.

So I guess that I'll wait until TI8 gets updated before purchasing, as I don't want to use sector-by-sector (if I have to do that, I might as well just use Ghost or dd!)

Shame nobody at Acronis has any comments for this thread, maybe an acknowlegement of the problem, or timescale for a fix?

7. DanLemas

DanLemas Registered Member

For your information :

There are different new File system features on FC3 :
    Try : dumpe2fs /dev/hda1 –h

On FC2 ==> has_journal filetype needs_recovery sparse_super large_file
    ON FC3 ==> has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype needs_recovery sparse_super large_file

There is ext_attr,resize_inode,dir_index new file system feature, and Trueimage don’t know how to perform a backup for this kind of filesystem.

You have 2 solutions:

1) To wait for the next version of Trueimage with support of new ext3 (à la FC3)
    2) Use ReiserFS in place of ext3 .

I think that the best solution is to use ReiserFS … The best file system on linux … No more problem to use Trueimage ...

When you are beginning your system install process, this is, right after booting with the FC cd and before pressing enter at the boot prompt, type at the prompt:
    boot: linux reiserfs

My source link is : http://fedoranews.org/jorge/howto/howto03.shtml

Oh la la la c’est magnifique ….
    D.

8. Well yeah I would go with Reiser, but it's too late now, don't want to do a whole new install.

So I guess I'll wait for the next TI8 build.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.