Fedora 11 Leonidas - King of Spartans

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello all,

I have just baked another long, thorough distro review: Fedora 11 Leonidas. The article includes live CD session experience and installation and covers topics like Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing, multimedia support (Flash, MP3), web camera, some unique features and applications, like Minefield and autoten, and much more.

I think you'll be pleased overall. Do remember Fedora is an almost perpetual beta and not best suited for new users.

Enjoy:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-11.html

Comments and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I'm going to pass Fedora by. It's a distro i've tried several times and I have yearned to fall in love with it. But alas it never goes smoothly.
    Besides other issues I have never been able to get 1280x1024 resolution with fedora, never, regardless of all advice I have sought, which is the biggest deal breaker for me.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

I hope they fix the super slow Synaptic, last time I tried on Fed10, it was a royal pain in the neck.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you mean yum and packagekit?

the new version of rpm is alot faster.
    been testing it in a vm.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Does a vm itself slow down performance any?

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

shouldnt do.
    depends how much resourses you dedicate to it.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, thanks. I have never yet tried any vm. Might be interesting.... :)

8. Arup

Arup Guest

Thanks, will give it a spin then.

9. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

As was said, Fedora doesn't use Synaptic (but that's irrelevant). The best way is to simply use the terminal:

Code:
    yum search foo

yum install bar

yum update
    Those are pretty much the only 3 commands the average user will need and it's much faster than any GUI.

I am a big Gentoo geek, but I have been using Fedora 10 for the past few months and have come to like it a lot. I like the focus on security the RH/Fedora people have (SELinux, stack smashing, exec shield all on by default).

10. Beavenburt

Fedora 11 final now released.
    Been running 10 for a week or so and I must say i've loved it. It recognises my new monitor resolution which is fantastic. I could never get 1280x1024 to stick on my old monitor.
    Anyways, I did a fresh install of 11 tonight and I must say I think it's great. I reckon some of the issues you had Mrk were due to being beta. It installed flawlessly for me. No hardware issues, nothing. Partitioning went as planned. You're right insofar as there's a learning curve but once you get passed it, this distro really is very nice and polished. Yum is quick and works well. Everything is set out nicely and easy to find.
    I'm using Gnome (I feel like a KDE traitor!) and it's light and snappy. As always with Fedora you get a beautiful theme.
    This is the distro that i've always wanted to run well on my system and finally it does. No complaints here and i've got my distro of choice at last.
    Anyone trying Fedora out, make sure you enable the rpmfusion repo. Fedora is a free OS and doesn't come with any propriety software at all by default or in it's official repo. But it's not difficult to enable the rpmfusion repo and download what you need.
    Loving it. Home at last.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I will be trying it soon.
    I like debian Lenny but its useless without being able to access to data on ntfs partitions.
    lets hope network manager updates dont break wireless this time round with fedora.

btw dont forget the command for yum haters "yum remove yum"
    i dont really have a prefrence of eiether yum,apt-get for commandline or packagekit or synaptec for GUI they all work well.

@Beavenburt, your right about it being easy to enable the rpmfusion repo. its four clicks lol.
    then if you open up a media player and play a file it will install the codecs for you (expect libdvdcss)

installed in virtual machine and i can select to install grub to boot partition.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  12. Beavenburt

Yum is working just fine for me at the moment. No problems, thus far. That's liable to change though! Installing of codecs when needed is a nice touch.
    I'm wired :ninja:

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ubuntu does automatic codec installs when needed as well once the right repos are added. fedora has had the feature since 10 and ubuntu since i dono when but around same time.

does plymouth proper boot screen work for you?

Not sure if i will use gnome,kde or both. decisions decisions but little time lol.

14. Beavenburt

Nah, Plymouth doesn't work for me in 10 or 11. But then i'm not fussed with that. It's only a bit of eye candy isn't it. I actually quite like the thick moving blue and white line.
    I felt bad leaving KDE but Fedora is a gnomecentric distro so I thought i'd go with the default. I actually really like it, which is a BIG surprise. I used to hate Gnome. But, it's really quite light and fast here and more customisable than I remember.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey,
    I agree that it is only a bit of eye candy.
    Genrally when i use a distro with KDE its hard to tell what distro it is.
    I hope Fedora keep add more branding so you can tell instantly you are running KDE on fedora.
    With gnome you can easily find install programs and settings etc.
    I couldnt find kpackage kit in kde through the menus.
    I only found it because I knew the name of it and typed it in to search box.

I wish KDE and Gnome was more 3D. OSX and windows 7 interfaces look alot nicer.
    even updated icons would help. Gnome power icon looks like it came from windows 98 lol.

I like the standard panel design of Gnome.menus and notifications at the top and an empty bar at the bottom to run programs.

16. Beavenburt

I don't like Gnome default layout at all. The first thing I do is delete the bottom panel and move the top one down and then add a window list. It's the one Windows habit I can't break and it's just the way I prefer it.
    Depending on your graphics card, you should be able to get 3D natively in KDE4 or with Compiz in Gnome. As for icons, I think the default Oxygen icon set in KDE4 is the nuts.

17. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I want a mainstream distro to use for a desktop computer but dont want to have to upgrade all the time.

How long is Fedora supported for? Can you do an in place upgrade?

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You'd probably be better off with Debian. They take more like a year and a half or so between versions...... And it's also quite good out of the box nowadays.... One of my favorites.

19. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I can't run Fedora 11 here. There is a bug blocking me from doing so (a major bug). Soundblaaster Live! and Audigy soundcards will not work with it due to kernel failures. It's really annoying and the Fedora devs don't seem to care even after numerous people filed bug reports.

20. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Which version? Stable seems too slow with their updates!

Well they are using the latest kernel which is buggy. Was there the same problem with older kernels?

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Lenny is what I used recently and liked a lot. Stable is stable.... :)

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if anyone can work out how to get ntfs partitions to mount properly in debian lenny let me know.

23. Beavenburt

Each Fedora release is supported for a year I think. There's a new release every six months or so. And yes you can upgrade.

24. andb

andb Registered Member

have you tried ntfs-3g?

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yup its installed but when i right click mount on nfts partitions in Nautilus it fails to mount them. never had this issue with ubuntu or fedora.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.