FDISR & Shadow protect

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Longboard, Sep 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Just poking around a bit:

Any body tried these together?
    Where does S-P come in the boot list? Mbr Issues.

I am trying to get a handle on this utility.

Any input.

Not giving up combo of FDISR and Terabyte without VV good reason :D

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I never tested this combination and I'm not planning to try it either.
    It took me weeks to test
    1. Acronis True Image apart
    2. FirstDefense-ISR apart
    3. the combination of both
    and I still take any opportunity to test them again.
    The combination worked in all my torture tests and never failed in six months.
    It was exciting in the beginning, but not anymore, it's routine now and routine is boring. I'm certainly not one of these users, who are afraid to do a restore.

Although RollbackRx seems to be improved, I'm not interested in RollbackRx or its clones, because it isn't the same as FDISR and I still have to hear the real advantages of RollbackRx over FDISR.
    Space and speed are NOT functions, I can't do anything with space and speed, I need more functions.
    Why would I spend more money on something I already have and works without failures.
    For me this chapter is closed. I'm working on something else now. :)

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Longboard

I am also curious to give Shadow Protect a shot.

You know after playing around with a friends laptop this weekend, it occurred to me there is a huge advantage to FDISR over some of the other others, like Rollback.

The harddrive died, and one area of the disk is a real mess. It's now data recovery time. With FDISR and a fairly well defragged disk, you have two shots at data recovery as opposed to one. Infrequent yes, but still true.

Pete

4. Longboard

@E-A
    Yyyeeess wondered about that.
    @Peter
    Yes. No bouts adout it. :D

Wont hurt to look>
    Think it would be safe to install into one fo FDISR snapshots for alook see?

Regards.

5. Peter2150

I may give it a shot, but I need to get an eval version not the trial. I need to see if the recovery disk will work.

Pete

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Right you are. With such softwares you need a full operating version.

7. crash79`

crash79` Registered Member

I apoligise if I am hijacking in any way.
    I purchased the desktop edition today and received an email telling me everything I need to do to install the programme. It appears quite daunting.
    However, it tells me that I can install the evaluation application from the link below, but try as I might there appears to be no link anywhere. I have emailed support but no reply so far.
    Is there anyting else I can do?
    Thanks,
    John

8. Peter2150

John

First what program are we talking about. There was no link below

Pete

9. crash79`

Sorry.
    It was shadow protect.
    I tried the trial version but to test recovery it has to be purchased, and an evaluation product and how to install the evaluation product is sent by email, but as I say the link to download this product is missing.
    Thanks for your quick response.
    John

10. Peter2150

John

You don't have to purchase it to evaluate the recovery. You do have to go to the site and fill out a form, requestiong the evaluation.

Pete

11. crash79`

Silly me. It's an age problem.
    Thanks Peter. Form sent.

12. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

*edit* so totally nothing to do with the subject. I got confused and thought of some other software. Sorry.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  13. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi all,

Are you sure ? :eek: or do you mean free to try or Shadow User ?

MaB

14. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Oh jeez! Shadow Protect, Power shadow I am getting all confused here with all the shadows. never mind my post above.

15. Longboard

Hi all
    Any update/new info on Shadow Protect and FDISR and VSS issues.

AS an adjunct if I change VSS > RSS, will all my snapshots update/copy as usual?

Thx

16. Peter2150

Hi Longboard

I am going to do some testing on the SP and FDISR and VSS issues. Make take a couple of days though.

Go for the RSS works fine.

Pete

17. Peter2150

Okay, I thought I'd report back. I beat on ShadowProtect and FDISR, and I could find no conflicts other than the copy/update in FDISR with the VSS mode. Using RSS everything worked perfectly. I have sent relavant information to both Storagecraft and Raxco.

Note, this was on both my machines, which are fairly straight forward, single partitions with none of the Dell/HP/IBM/etc type hidden partitions/stuff.

Pete

18. Peter2150

As an update, I heard back from Raxco and they have been able to reproduce the problem. They are working with the developers on it.

Pete

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

:thumb:

Acadia

20. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Raxco sent a similar message to me after my problems -

StorageCraft have not sent back such a warm message- not really bothered to reply to me. They just said choose FD or SP. So I chose FD

21. Peter2150

Hi Starfish

I know they do have a concern, but it is just really low on their priority lists, especially since it may indeed be FDISR. Thats why I reported in both directions. Thing is at this point a choice isn't really necessary. They both work well with FDISR in RSS mode.

The irony is I think what makes ShadowProtect so good is it is derived from a very reliable enterprise product. The downside is the home market is just so small for them, that they put their support where the money comes from. A business reality I do understand.

Anyway lets see what leapfrog comes up with.

Pete

22. Longboard

Hey Peter2150

For this many thanks:
    This is how to build a support base:
    I heard back from Raxco and they have been able to reproduce the problem. They are working with the developers on it.

This is not: (even discounting irritating small home users as financial asset :doubt: )
    StorageCraft have not sent back such a warm message- not really bothered to reply to me. They just said choose FD or SP.

I imagine there has been some success with SP in corporate environs. It is obviously likely to be a useful tool. If I know I am going to get no support (not withstanding grnxnhm :thumb: ) or just as here; straight out disdain; why would I purchase?

23. Peter2150

Can't really disagree, and while I wouldn't want to put words in his mouth, by his presence here, I think grnxnm would also agree.

So why would I give them money(which I have) Simple. It is totally reliable, and it's also the fastest. Also if you want the Hardware indpendent Recovery/Universal Restore type of feature which is coming, the storagecraft product is kick ass. Personally I don't need it, but it was a hoot trying it. Never would have believed I could image my Intel laptop with Promise Raid and restore it on an nvidia based machine with nvidia raid. It was rough but ran. That was cool, and then ShadowProtect put my system back like it was when I started. I am curious how many folks would be confident enough in their images to try that.

Pete

24. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I know that I could get SP to work with FD by using RSS but the nature of the problem that I had when I installed SP with VSS and the subsequent support that I recieved have made me take a very big step away from StorageCraft. I almost sent a progress chasing email to them yesterday but it has been nearly a week since the last mail so I don't think they are interested....

I agree the actual problem that I encountered is almost certainly due to a FD problem but ...... SP caused this condition to arise in FD - when I removed SP.

I did not receive one actionable sugestion on how my system could be recovered - even giving me the Microsoft stop error note would have indicated some interest. Raxco made a few suggestion none of which worked but they engaged.

In truth I suspect that I got lucky with the damaged snapshots - I think the normal course for my problem is reinstall.

25. Peter2150

I can't blame you, and that is an issue they really need to think thru. I think it's a bad mistake on their part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.