FDISR and Vista problem

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by SD Scooter, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SD Scooter

SD Scooter Registered Member

Hello all,

I am new here at the forum...as well as to using FirstDefense ISR. I have been using Rollback RX for a while now, until running into the slow booting problem when I went to Vista. I have been using FDISR for about 3 weeks now, and like it a lot.

As for my question. Well, I am glad that I didn't lose anything...but I messed up my system last night and have yet to fix it. I am writing here to get any ideas before I go home and rebuild my system drive. Here is what happened.

I had 2 snapshots on my system drive. A primary one and an emergency snapshot that I could use if the other one failed. I also had 2 archived snapshots...one updating daily from my primary...and one updating weekly from my primary. All was running well, when I read here one day and found out that when I do an image of my drive, it has to copy both primary and emergency snapshots. I read how many of you have a basic, no frills, small space secondary snapshot for use like my emergency snapshot. Thinking this would save image space and time, I decided that I would do the same. I also figured that I would try out the "empty snapshot" feature.

I made an empty snapshot and installed Vista with no problems. Yes, I remembered not to format the drive when installing. After the new Vista operating system was up and running, I installed FDISR. I was very happy to open the program and see my other snapshots as if I had done well. I have access to these snapshots, and since I tested copying one of them to a different hard drive, I know they still exist.

My problem is that I cannot boot into any of them!!! Somehow Vista will not let the FDISR boot screen appear, and it re-boots directly back into the new Vista snapshot each time!!! Does anybody have a clue how I can fix thiso_O Or am I SOL. While scouring the forum after this problem, I have read some things about the new upcoming beta which fixes some of the Vista problems. Only problem is...I can't get a hold of a beta version to see if it fixes anything.
    I thought the Vista UAC was causing the problem, so I uninstalled the FDISR program, de-activated UAC, and re-installed FDISR...same results. Argh!!!

All help appreciated!!!

Thanks...

(Forgot to write that I am using the newest version of FDISR available)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I don't have vista Scooter, so I can't really offer advice in the use of it and FD-ISR.

When you do actions>boot to snapshot, do they show there, and are you able to boot to one that way as you don't need the boot screen for that option.

3. SD Scooter

I have tried that. All the snapshots appear there, and if I try to re-boot to one of them it appears to be working. But when it re-boots...I am right back where I started.

My guess is that they just haven't incorporated the changes to the way Vista boots. It doesn't appear to be able to use Vista with the empty snapshot feature. I will continue to check here today...but most likely I will go home and be forced to wipe out this drive and set it all up from scratch again. At least after I have Vista up and running again, I will be able to copy the archive back from another drive...so all is not lost. Just frustrating!!! :doubt:

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That last statement is one of the beauties of FDISR. Once you get vista up and FDISR installed your archive will bring you back current. I don't know if you have a choice about running Vista, but if you can go back to XP, I sure would.

Pete

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Slow booting since you went to Vista :eek: OH! Contrare :shifty: Rollback boots 50% faster on a Vista System, at least on mine it boots up in 35-40 seconds from a Cold Start, while on XP Rollback could take up to 2 minutes :blink:

6. SD Scooter

I actually like Vista. I haven't had many problems with it at all. As far as choice, yes I can use XP. I actually have a removable drive slot on my system. I swap between XP and Vista if I ever need to. At first I ran into some driver problems, etc. with Vista...and I wasn't thrilled about using the dual boot feature...so I was switching back and forth with the drives. Lately I have been using mostly Vista and I haven't had any problems--even with gaming. And the new games with DX10 are amazing!!!

7. SD Scooter

All I can say is that I worked with HorizonDatasys when they first encountered this slow Vista boot problem. I beta tested a de-bugged version for them and it worked much better. But, I also noticed that the longer I used the program...the longer the boot up time became. You can read about it in their forum. It may be some weird hardware problem even...but I got a screaming fast computer and that is how it works on my system. You must be one of the lucky ones...

8. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Are you running a Intel Core 2 Duo, or an AMD 64x2 Dual Core System? it should have no slowdowns if you are. Other than that all I can think of is disabling some unwanted startup programs or perhaps Re-Baseline Rollback to a later snapshot, that usually works too :)

9. SD Scooter

I am running the AMD ATHLON 64 X2 6000+ on an ASUS Crosshair Mobo. I have tried everything that I can think of to fix the problem with Rollback RX...that is why I removed it and decided to try FirstDefense ISR.

If you go to their forum and read about their upcoming new version...there is a new post in this forum with a link...you will see that I am not the only one with the problem. My guess is it is hardware related, like I stated before. Great that it works for you, but not everybody is skipping around a jumping up and down. :D

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I know what you mean, because believe my I have been frustrated with Rollback myself at times, but yesterday I tried something different :) read my other post here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=179941

I also found Rollback 8 does NOT! disable Windows System Restore like version 7 did, so I disabled that also and now my snapshots are super small :cool:

11. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

So now we have a problem between FDISR and Vista in the latest build of FDISR that has no solution and might be hardware related? I thought that all the incompatibiliteis between FDISR and vista were worked out if one had both xp and vista on the same computer?

12. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I doubt they have been worked out as yet, I would guess that when Microsoft release SP1 and SP2 for Vista then things may get better, but untill then it really is a question that I doubt will be resolved soon :)

13. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I haven't seen anyone on here lately complaining about vista and FDISR. The inclusion of RB8 into the mix further complicates things and I don't use RB8 because of it's proprietary defragger.

14. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

If I may make a sugestion, I recommend Diskeeper to run along side as a defragger, many will tell you this wont work with Rollback installled, but I can assure you it will. Anyways the decision is yours and ultimately depends on you. ;)

15. SD Scooter

When guessing that it may be hardware related, I was speaking of Rollback RX...since I have had problems with it running under Vista.

The problem between FDISR and Vista appears to have been some glitch I had when installing Vista onto and empty snapshot. Somehow after I installed FDISR onto the new snapshot, I saw all my snapshots, but was unable to boot to any of them--or did the FDISR boot screen ever appear. Judging by all the responses I have gotten, it looks like this hasn't happened before. I was just looking for a quick fix when I posted. I had an archived snapshot on a different drive, and I fixed it all up last night.

Thanks for all the responses. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.