FD, Raxco, and...

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by SG1, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Got trial app from Raxco, (as I'd bought their Perfect Disk), & have not installed/tried FD as of yet. > So as to not get in over my head first thing, < are there links on this forum, or Raxco's, where I can read up on the "how-to" of FD?

Have read a bit about Primary/Secondary/Freezing... here, & it sounds a tad confusing. And it sounds like FD consumes the free space of your primary HD with size of snapshot? (I have 3 HDs, and XP PRO is on the C: drive: other two HDs are mostly just for backups or storage of junk from C: that one saves, for some unknown reason).

Thanks, for your thoughts on this, SG1 (Pat)

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

FD-ISR works with snapshots (maximum 10) of your system partition [C:], where FDISR is installed.
    All your other partitions, don't count.
    FDISR starts with one snapshot of your actual system partition and you can create maximum 9 other snapshots.
    Each snapshot is independent and can contain any combination of softwares, even another operating system.
    You only have to reboot in the snapshot, you want to work with.

Copy/Update allows you to copy and/or update (= refresh) from one snapshot to another (new) snapshot.
    Archive/Restore and Import/Export allows you to store snapshots on another partition, external harddisk, DVD/CD's.
    Freeze/Unfreeze allows you to put a snapshot in a frozen state, each change will be removed after reboot.
    Anchoring is used when you want to exclude folders in a snapshot.

FD-ISR requires indeed alot of space, but the next version(s) will work with compressed snapshots.

That's it, the rest isn't so important.
    How you will use these snapshots in practice is entirely upto you and requires your imagination. :)

EDIT:
    FDISR has a Pre-boot screen before Windows even starts and that allows you to reboot in another snapshot.
    Sometimes you will need it, when you are in serious trouble.
    (ISR = Immediate System Recovery and FDISR is an expert in solving system partition problems)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi SG1

Also note you can save archives of snapshots to external or 2nd drives.
    You can't boot from them, but it is a way of saving snapshots, without taking up your c: drive. You use them by either updating a snapshot from them or creating a new one from them.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.