FD-ISR Totally Discontinued ?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by pratzert, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

I just read this on the Horizon Forum Board and it was posted by a Horison Data employee:

QUOTE: "Just FYI - FirstDefense Rescue and its previous ISR products will be officially discontinued in the next month or so... Therefore, if you are thinking of upgrading you may want to look at RollBack Rx as an alternative; as we will not be supportting the FirstDefense product in the near future.": UNQUOTE

I had assumed that maybe Leapfrog was just looking for a different vednor to seel FD-ISR Rescue... but now I'm not so sure.

I know that Leapfrog had turned all their energy toward the Server version of FD-ISR Rescue.

Does this mean that Leapfrog is abandoning FD-ISR totally ?

Has anyone heard any other information or rumors ?

Thanks

2. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

The LeapFrog site still lists it. It would appear that they have not quite given up on it yet. But maybe the site data is old. From all the desperate requests for keys for the program it would appear that there is still interest in the program. Bad sign however is that there was no official version for windows 7 released in this forum for the old program but I am aware there is a way to install it on windows 7. I personally am not surprised that Horizon data is dropping the program they market Rollback which is under heavy development or appears to be. Rollback is actually an alternative to FDISR & I suspect is a much better seller.. Maybe their involvement always was a way to get FDISR customers for Rollback?

3. pinso

pinso Registered Member

, to me that would the second Sad thing next to "Fall of Rome".

Another Version compatible with Win7 would be a great treat, before trying FD, i went through a lot of Threads here at FD-RORUM, and i was quite suprised i found only 1/5th user complained about FD modifying Win MBR and had trouble Bootng to Xp.
    Thats just goes to show how stable and good FD really is. Just dont know why Horizon Data and Leapfrog wants to discontinue with FD. May be a poor Marketing Strategy,,,,,

RB/Eazyfix is selling despite some bugs issue and people complaining Hell.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I still shake my head and wonder what they were thinking when they discontinued FD-ISR. Was it too good and threatened to put other apps out of business? Did they think that there was no way they could improve it so saw no way to make future money off it? This software was the best investment I ever made and will probably ever make. It has saved my bacon numerous times where if I didn't have other snapshots to revert to I would have been up the creek so to speak. I am using Win XP and at some point in the distant future I will purchase a new computer with Win 7. I pray that I will be able to import my FD-ISR to Win 7.

5. pratzert

Well... all we know for sure at this point in time is that Horizon won't be selling FD-ISR in any form.

We can't say that Leapfrog has abandoned it. I think that Todd would pop up on the forum and let us all know since he has been so great in his support of the product and in helping all of us who have it.

I agree that perhaps RollBack was more of an income producer for Horizon and that is why they won't offer FD-ISR Rescue.

I too hope that the original version of FD-ISR will be offered in a Win7 compatible package. I think Leapfrog was really concentrating on the FD-ISR Server edition adn may be working on making that Win7 compatible.

If so... I am confident that Todd will give us a heads up.

If not... I guess I'll have to give ShadowProtect a try.... it seems like the next best thing.

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Todd has to put bread on the table and keep a roof over his head just like anyone else. When FD was being sold by Raxco they just weren't getting enough sales. Yes, FD is sacred among a couple of dozen here at Wilders, but in the world at large no one was hearing about it. I don't know if you can blame that on Raxco because even I did not fully understand FD when I first heard about it. For whatever reason, Raxco stopped carrying it and Horizon made Todd an offer. Maybe Horizon wanted to kill off the only program that could do what their program could do and was even more stable, who knows, it does not matter at this point. Todd did what I would have done, provide a living for my family and sell the product to Horizon.

There is one thing that you folks have to understand, I have said this before but it just does not seem to sink in: Todd's hands are tied by legal contracts. I don't want Todd to get into trouble on my account, how selfish could I get? Todd has provided me with 5+ years of safe computing and I am thankful for that. Yes, I would LOVE FirstDefense to continue but nothing lasts forever especially in the software world. If FD comes back again some day FAR OUT!! But lets face reality and just keep helping each other here at Wilders, who knows, maybe together we can perfect a way to make FD work with Win7 with the same stability it does with XP. :cool:

Acadia

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  7. pratzert

Interesting to know that Todd had sold FD-ISR to Horizon. I wasn't aware of that.

So they, of course, have the right to kill the product if they want.

But who knows what the legaleze of the contract states... maybe if Horizon kills it, the intelectual rights revert back to Leapfrog.

It reminds me of some of the things that Symantec did with their products.

They had an artificail intellegance database program called "Q&A" which was very popular and they abandoned it. And the same thing happened with "GoBack". Both programs made money according to reports, but apparently not enough. Then there is the cost of continually having to update and refine and debug programs.... perhaps it was just too costly to make FD-ISR a true WIN7 compatible product.

Geez... even Microsoft couldn't make Win7 upgradable... so how difficult must it be for an independant programmer to re-write their programs to make them compatible ?

I think we'll hear the facts of the story sooner or later.

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Actually, I could be wrong about that, it could be that Raxco sold it to Horizon.

Here are threads that might be of interest to some:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=119368&highlight=horizon
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=179684&highlight=horizon
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=177976&highlight=horizon
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=188461&highlight=horizon

Acadia

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Heres a more reasonable take on matters to this end.

If FARONIC'S can advertise PLUS deliver on such a magnificient pair of power house products, one being of course DEEP FREEZE that are in every library i ever entered and likely most global internet cafes, then theres no reason or excuse that FD-ISR couldn't have been in that same global limelight with it's flagship project FD-ISR (ORIGINAL/ENTERPRISE), and none of this Horizon deterioraration, which was inevidable by the way as a matter of time run it's course, and LEAPFROG could have been named in the same sentence as FARONIC'S.

Now that makes perfect sense to those who know what this is all about to begin with.

When you give a VALUABLE jewell to a rock collector at bargain basement cost, what do you suppose what the end results are going to finally turn out to become?

EASTER

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Actually, both are wrong. FDISR was originally licensed to 3 different resellers for sales. I believe the same arrangement was with Horizon.(not 100% positive though)

Discontinued as there weren't enough sales to justify the support costs. Simple

11. Peter2150

Folks, a lot of speculation in these posts, and most of it quite wrong. All I can say.

Pete

12. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i don't understand why ppl so sad? i used rollback / eaz fix long time and it never let me down , fdisr was good at his time and now more powerful and user friendly are out there.!
    what ever fdisr can do rollback rx can do and MUCH more faster and less space and less knowledge .

don't get me wrong , i use fdisr on one of my pc , but its really heavy software compare to the Rollback RX and eaz fix products

cheers

13. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I just tried a version of AY Recover I got on GAOTD a while back. Pretty program looks great I then installed CIS. All in a VM, wow, memory jumps form 78 mb to 880, When I reboot thinking that will help system errors scan disc runs & registry is recovered by windows. I then rolled back & uninstalled surpris ingly the VM still works. I do not think I would want to try this out on my real operating system. If it ever comes to pass that I in fact get windows 7 in the future I will use Shadow Protect & Virtual Machines. I really don't feel llike a riverboat gambler. FDISR is a wonderful software.. I hope it continues but if it goes away I can still use it for the forseeable future

14. Peter2150

Yeah, but FDISR has never let me down. Rollback has done a number on me several times. No thanks.

15. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:D :thumb:
    LOL, you're not alone. :gack:
    This discussion pops-up on a regular basis. Todd still lurking to his credit.
    Anyone who has used this tool recognises what a remarkable thing it is and would no doubt keenly feel the loss when time runs out.
    I remeber baulking at the price: then my yes were opened: a hallelujah moment for me in 2006 :D
    No question, a really really great soft.
    Led onto all sorts of fun and peace of mind.
    LOL, how many times have posts been made: "Not keeping this if it conflicts with FDISR. !!"
    AFAICS there is no other app that has replaced FDISR.
    Cant predict the future but can keep both eyes open.
    :thumb:

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have abandoned FD PC Rescue, as in the long run it was creating more problems than it would solve (HD space, gigantic images to store, very sensitive to other applications, and on my Vista machine the 'rescue image' was impossible to delete).

I have no doubts that the original version must have been more complete and versatile, but certainly not an easy application to understand for the average user.

IMO, using Shadow Defender and ShadowProtect for example make some of the ISR applications still on the market redundant therefore I'm not surprised about the demise of some. It's a bit of Darwinian natural selection applied to certain programs, let me say it tongue-in-cheek!

17. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Can't comment about FD PC Rescue, but the Original works perfectly on Vista and Seven for me.

Agree that both SD and SP are brilliant programs, but have to admit that FDISR has saved me many more times than either of them.
    Glad you said that tongue in cheek though...... :D

18. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I never really like(d) the extra space FD-ISR consumes at copying the drive, but anyway thats just me, or maybe a few others, but I still use(d) it I emphasise on use(d) as I come to the conclusion that a simple backup image with Acronis True Image Home 2009 is just as effective at restoring. Simply pop in the Acronis Rescue CD and Wallah! up and running in 2 mins

19. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

FD you can be up and running again in seconds - no waiting for the IT guy. All the software mentioned here is useful and has a place. I can see me using FD for awhile yet whatever happens.

20. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Most of these softwares are targeted to the commercial market because its big.
    Home users are peanuts to them so its quite understandable that if they can't get into this market successfully,its end of the story and sadly also for us.
    Hope though that Todd find another ways to get into business soon !

21. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

It takes you just 2 minutes to restore an entire mirror image?

Acadia

22. pinso

pinso Registered Member

FD-ISR Rescue 3.1, really disgust me.......when u know the former (Original FD-ISR 3.32) provides the option of more than 2 Snapshots( Freezing, New Snapshot etc etc). Giving users more control,power, flexibility....
    who'll even buy FD-ISR Rescue 3.1,

23. Peter2150

Well for several years before the original FDISR had the expanded capabilites it was given, I used it just like Rescue now works. It still was a good deal.

24. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Yes, but remember my system specs, So hardly surprising it runs so fast :cool:

25. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

in my opinion that is the reason Horizon gutted FDISR, to eliminate competition to their buggy recovery scam, and to attempt to convert FDISR users to their pathetic offering.

ShadowProtect is great software, but i have used it once for every 8-10 times i have used FDISR.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.