FD-ISR ~ ShadowUser -> engaged!

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by wilbertnl, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=771644&postcount=56
    I don't belief that a statement exist that says that you can run both applications at the same time.
    To me it sounds more like 'the FD-ISR structure won't be effected when you want to defragment your disk'
    This as opposed to sector based imaging or disk locking software.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I've done another test : copy/update + defragging.

Copy/Update from an active snapshot to a new snapshot.
    Normally it takes 8 minutes, but this time it took 23m.
    The destination snapshot had Errors=20.
    So what Raxco claimed in the past, isn't true either.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Maybe Raxco hadn't thought of a scheduled defrag kicking in? How about under Tools > Options > Schedules, changing it to Medium or Low priority, that way if defrag kicks in, FirstDefense will defer to PerfectDisk?

Acadia

4. ErikAlbert

Maybe, but it's obvious to me that defragging and FDISR-activities don't go together, which is in fact logical, although Raxco claimed something else. For me these tests are finished.

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

OK, in all fairness to Raxco, maybe I am not remembering it correctly, although I looked for that two year old email ... it was deleted long ago. But they did say SOMETHING like that, just wish, to be fair to them, that I could remember it verbatim. I do remember that they mentioned PerfectDisk does defrag ALL Snapshots, not just whatever one you might happen to be in, it defrags them all without problems. I wish that I had kept that email because I do remember it being quite lengthly and going into one heck of a lot of detail. :doubt:

Acadia

6. wilbertnl

7. wilbertnl

8. ErikAlbert

wilbertnl,
    Without having testing this MYSELF, those statements are worthless to me. Words are just words.
    If I would believe every vendor of a software at work, we would have bought alot of software, that doesn't work like we wanted.
    Years ago I had almost a verbal fight with a Xerox vendor about a pc-software to design forms for mainframe laserprinters.
    The software wasn't accurate enough to get exact measurements, although the vendor claimed it wasn't true. We ditched it, because I could prove it. Xerox vendor wasn't happy of course.
    IBM tried to fool me twice with fake demos of softwares.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I realize all the companies claim that you can defrag and it won't bother anything else, just like the windows imaging folks make the same claims.

And while I do test some software to the extreme, with tasks critical to the data, like imaging, FDISR, etc, I prefer to exercise Acadia's wisdom and exercise patience. So when I image,defrag or do anything with FDISR, I never do anything else. Also for me I don't use scheduling. It always ends up causing me more grief than it helps. Again this is me.

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Also, I believe that MANY times, not all times, but many times, the software companies are sincere with their claims, it's just that we obsessive sticklers here at Wilders put their products through more different kinds of torture testing then they could dream up in their labs. :shifty:

Acadia

11. ErikAlbert

These tests don't have anything to do with way of working.
    These tests prove that companies aren't telling the truth and do everything to sell the software. They are also not telling the truth about the space FDISR really needs on your harddisk.

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

They aren't? I always thought that Raxco was very open about how much space FD will use, IF people would take the time to read the guides. Perhaps I am missing something, or perhaps it's been too long since I read them?

Acadia

13. wilbertnl

But, ErikAlbert,

Aren't you questioning Raxco about something that they don't claim at all on their website?

14. ErikAlbert

That was about Diskeeper and the other one.

15. wilbertnl

..and how L:isay: O:isay: N:isay: G it takes to create a new snapshot or new archive!

16. wilbertnl

I'm lost here...

What are you questioning Raxco about then?

17. Peter2150

Whose fault is it if you don't read the website. From the website

5 MB Disk Space (Additional space required for each snapshot taken - space required is determined by program configuration. Maximum required for each snapshot is used space of system partition. Non-system partitions/removable media can not be used to store snapshots.)

Seems pretty plain to me.

As to the time to create a snapshot. What you expect them to say? How would you give an estimate of the time required.

18. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Indeed, your processor, and other important hardware within your system, would determine all of that, wouldn't it? On my current system, it takes between 9-12 minutes to create a new snapshot, 1-4 minutes to update. On my old system, it would have taken perhaps half-an-hour to create a new snapshot ... SLOW, because of the antiquated processor.

Acadia

19. Peter2150

Not sure the processor is the big factor. I think size of snapshot, and the disk itself. No surprise the archives to external drives are almost twice as fast. C drive is both reading and writing.

20. wilbertnl

I actually compare with other software that I have experience with.
    ATI takes less than 4 minutes to create an image of my system partition.
    Farstone RestoreIt takes less then 4 minutes to do the same.
    FD-ISR takes somewhere between 10 and 15 minutes, their estimate is not really sharp.

And don't they advertise with the word immediate? That doesn't refer to copy/update, but to pushing the key to switch to a different snapshot at boot time.
    That is also what their promotional video is showing.

This doesn't mean that I don't think this software is great, but yeah, the topic of this thread is the freeze function and that is a little bit disappointing. Even when I install a second harddisk and store the freeze storage.arx file there. :thumbd:

21. ErikAlbert

Hi FDISR-users,

I was tired yesterday and I've put everything back in the right perspective.
    The timing in FDISR is difficult to estimate and is on my computer :
    1. Freezing takes about 11 minutes.
    2. New snapshots about 8 minutes.
    3. Archiving/Restoring about 6 minutes.
    4. Refreshing can't be measured and depends on adding, replacing and removing of objects.
    5. The reboot time in a snapshot = normal reboot time, the difference is neglectable.
    The speed kb/s varies too much during each activity (I've seen less than 6000 and more than 11000)
    IMO these times are of no importance at all, because you get something back you never had before or could even dream about in a very short time.

Of course when a defragging is involved, any activity takes MUCH longer and results in errors.
    So we can FORGET about defragging during FDISR-activities, it simply doesn't work. Period.
    I'm not really interested anymore in Raxco's reply, because it doesn't matter anymore.
    I will change my settings in PerfectDisk to avoid an accidental defragging and that's it.

Diskeeper claims that their defragging is safe whatever you are doing.
    That is a statement, I don't believe without testing it myself and that's what I ment with "words are just words".
    I assume that diskeeper is talking about small activities on the harddisk during defragging, but not the big ones, like copying or freezing an ENTIRE system partition.

Concerning the space, I guess I'm wrong, but my system partition of 50gb was FULL after creating 10 snapshots.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=132306 (first post)
    Shows that FDISR needs 46,19gb to store 10 snapshots of 6,44gb and those numbers are real.
    My old computer had a harddisk of 17gb ..., I guess you get the picture.
    The only way out is using archived snapshots, that can be stored on another partition or external harddisk or even DVD's and CD's (not my favorite solution).
    So FDISR is a real space-eater, but I take my words back that Raxco wasn't honest about it.
    Space is something that each possible FDISR-user has to consider seriously and I'm glad I have 70gb for my system partition, when my external harddisk will be there.
    Of course most people don't need 10 snapshots, I usually need 2 upto 5, but I like to go to the limit at least ONE time to know exactly how far I can go. That is the purpose of tests.

I also assume that FDISR in theory allows any software to be installed, even ShadowUser is working.
    That some softwares conflict with eachother is old news and has nothing to do with FDISR.
    On the contrary, FDISR will be a big help to discover these conflicting softwares and if something goes wrong FDISR will save you.

Concerning Acronis True Image and FD-ISR, I can assure you that both softwares work together.
    Each backup and restore with ATI, with or without FD-ISR snapshots on the source and/or target disk was SUCCESSFULL and with or without enabling the FDISR Preboot. I usually don't even think about changing that Pre-boot setting.
    So ANYTHING and ANY COMBINATION is possible with ATI/FDISR and I'm speaking of real experience this time.
    I don't have any experience with other image backup softwares, but for the moment I assume that FDISR won't cause any problems with BING, IFW, IFD, Ghost, etc. either and if there is a problem, it could be very possible that you don't do it correctly, just like I made a mistake with ATI in the beginning regarding recovering image backup. After visiting Acronis Forum my recovery problem was fixed forever.

Acronis Forum is indeed full of problems and almost unbelievable problems. Some users aren't even able to create an Acronis Rescue CD, which is nothing but a simple burning of an .iso-file on a CD.
    I really wonder what kind of users these posters are, if they already have problems with simple things.
    If all ATI-users had problems, Wilders would be too small to handle all these problems. What we see at Acronis Forums is just a minority of ATI-users.

The only reason why I choosed ATI was because I understood this software pretty fast, compared with the rest.
    If I had more experience with backup, probably Terabyte would have been my choice.
    If RollbackRx was as reliable as FDISR, RollbackRx would have been my choice. So Raxco is just lucky.

Meanwhile, I enjoy ATI and FDISR, because both saved me several times already. I certainly don't regret the money. :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  22. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

:thumb:

Acadia

P.S. Just one thing: FirstDefense is NOT compatible with 100% of all software; any program that modifies or demands control of the Master Boot Record may not play well with FirstDefense, use with caution. ;)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  23. ErikAlbert

Many thanks for the warning. :)

24. wilbertnl

Well, ErikAlbert, you didn't mean to defrag during your freeze test.
    It happened because of the configuration.
    I know about more software that conflicts, but that doesn't mean that either one has a bad design.
    Even software requires some diplomacy. :D

25. Peter2150

Hi Erik

I think you've got the perspective right on. I am sure when diskkeeper folks wrote it was safe to defrag with any activity, they probably without any thinking about it were looking at what the average desktop user does with their machine. I am sure it works fine there. Using it in conjunction with FDISR, who knows. Probably never occurred to them that some one might do that.

I know in talking with Andrew, from Rollback, it never occurred to them, that beta testers would use the program the way we do, and the rigors of beta testing some software. Actually also never occurred to them that many of the authors of security programs would use undocument, but successful means of ensuring their driver got to the top of the stack, pushing others like Rollback down. This has also had consequences for them. So in all fairness some times the statements made aren't done to intentionally mislead, but just from lack of anticipating what some of us would do with their products.

Hence the wisdom of not pushing extremes.

Cheers,

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.