FD-ISR Beta plus RollbackRx on Vista and XP

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR BETA Forum' started by silver0066, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No, and honestly I don't intend to. I paid for two Rollback licenses and I'd have to pay again for the new stuff. First Defense and ShadowProtect are working so reliably for me I have zero incentive. Also using the archives the way I am, the time difference just isn't that great for me.

2. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I thought Shadow Protect doesn't work on RAID setups? How are you managing that or it does work with RAID setups like Acronis T.I.? And I thought you were an Acronis True Image fan...

dja2k

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  3. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

RollbackRX v8 did install on my RAID setup. Haven't tested restore yet. I forgot the rules for Rollback and Imaging it, something about all Rollback images be lost and only baseline be restored. Oh well let me play around unless someone can shed some light.

dja2k

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

ShadowProtect works like a champ on Raid 0. As to ATI, it works for me, but not really a fan. There are somethings that are plain flaky, and I just don't have the same feeling of reliability. I have beaten ShadowProtect to death. Probably over 200 restores on my various machines, no issues.

5. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I got Rollback8 to install on my Raid 0 system, but it will not restore. Very strange behavior.

It uses BartPe with a Rollback plug in for Recovery. I just added the Rollback plug in to my BartPe with Acronis and my Raid drivers.

BartPe booted and I could access the Rollback program. However, when I tried to Restore, the RollbackRx BartPE program recognized all of my drives and partitions, including the RAID 0 System drive, when asking from WHERE to get the image, however, when it asked me which drive to restore to, my RAID 0 drive did not show up on the menu. Therefore, it DOES NOT work on RAID systems at the present time. I still have a use for it as I like the super fast snapshot creation, and with FDISR and Acronis, I feel well protected.

I have sent in a ticket to Horizon. I just don't understand why the program would recognize the drive in one instance and not the other.

The Snapshot backup from the RAID 0 drive went just fine and took about the same time as Acronis, about 10 minutes for 22 gigs.

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

So why would you still use RollbackRX for its super fast snapshots but can't even restore them?

dja2k

7. silver0066

You CAN restore any of them with just a reboot. That is why I use it. You just cannot restore a RollbackRx Backup Snapshot from the BartPE boot disk if you are using a RAID 0 System drive. It is a defect in the RollbackRx plug-in, not BartPE.

I do alot of experimenting and can quickly make snapshots, do my experimenting and either go back or if everything goes okay, not goback. I use FD-ISR for booting back and forth between Vista and XP, for quick archives and for quick restores if just Windows crashes. I use Acronis for hard disk failure and for further archiving. Since RollbackRx has had problems in the past, I have these second levels of defense which work just fine for my needs.

8. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Sorry I am not that experienced with RollbackRX, when you mean rollback from the boot disk, you mean when you get a total failure that you can't log into windows or what? Are you referring to a RollbackRX Boot Disk like the Acronis Rescue Disk? I don't really need RollbackRX, but the way you are using it, it seems as an extra measure that interests me. I installed the trial to play around but then uninstalled it when you mentioned it didn't work with RAID 0. However, with RollbackRX v8, you can restore the backups while in windows right?

dja2lk

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  9. silver0066

I think you are getting Snapshots, and Snapshot Backups mixed up. You can go back to Snapshots in Rollback in Raid 0 just by rebooting.

The reason for backing up snapshots, a feature just instituted in Version 8, is that if Windows will not start, or you need a new system drive, you have to Boot from a Recovery CD which you have to make yourself from the free BartPe program using Rollback's BartPE plug in. Rollback's BartPe plug-in is defective in that it will recognize the Raid 0 drive when it asks from where to get the image, but does not recognize it when it asks on which drive to put the image. Therefore, it is useless as a Snapshot Backup program when using Raid 0.

If you have not tried it, get a trial of the new First Defense Beta from Leapfrog Software. It works in XP and Vista. It is a great program, very reliable, and I have used it for over a year. The only reason I experimented with Rollback is that Version 7 made snapshots in about 3 to 5 seconds as compared to a minute or two with First Defense. The new Rollback version 8 is much slower and takes more time to make snapshots although it is still faster than First Defense. Because of this, Rollback has lost alot of appeal to me.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  10. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Thanks and if you had looked at my sig, you would see I already have the FD-ISR beta installed, which I followed your example in using it with RollbackRX. I am not mixed up, I know the program does its own snapshots and that you can export them to some other place besides your windows drive.. I was asking about the RollbackRX snapshot because I was curious what would happen if you restore with something like Acronis True Image first, reinstall RollbackRX if necessary and then import back the snapshot to RollbackRX, if that was possible. I never tried that as I removed RollbackRX 8 trial when you mentioned it didn't work with RAID0 but maybe I will give it a try again just for kicks.

dja2k

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  11. silver0066

Sorry, I missed your sig.

RollbackRx Pro has no facility for importing snapshots from another drive. It will only restore backup snapshots by booting the BartPE Disk. I don't even know if it works as I have not tried it on a Non-Raid System.

12. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Oh ok thanks for the info. Will keep an eye out for improvements on RollbackRX.

dja2k

13. kneighbour

kneighbour Registered Member

I have purchased a Pro version of RollbackRx 8, and you would be amazed at the number of spelling and grammar mistakes throughout the whole program. Virtually EVERY page of the help manual is replete with errors.

I would have sworn the program was developed someplace in China, but the company seems to be based in the USA. Puzzling.

It does not give you a very good sense of confidence if they cannot even spell the name of their product!

I bought it for Vista (as V7 does not work in Vista). It seems that Version 8 does not either - I bought my version a couple of weeks back, and I still cannot get it working in Vista. To be somewhat fair to Horizon, they answered my support calls, and they say that they have found the problem. Mind you, they have not supplied a fix as yet, so I still do not have a working product.

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The posts about it are also very puzzling. At home I always think : "LollbackRx again, the one without image."
    Let's hope PowelShadow does a bettel job, not according my principles. :rolleyes:
    (What speed and less space can do to users)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.