FD-ISR and Acronis TI

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by wideglide36, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

Hey guys,

After briefly trying FD-ISR, I have a few questions for the experts.

I currently use Acronis TI to make full backups of my C drive on Monday and Thursday.

According to FD-ISR you need to disable the pre boot function to use an imaging program. So, if you disable the pre boot function how would you recover in an emergency?

Would I have to make my backups with ATI manually and then enable pre boot in FD-ISR?

My ATI backups are run automatically now and I would hate to change that. Surely I'm missing something on how to run FD-ISR and ATI together.

Also, I ran a manual back up with ATI and of course it took twice as long as normal to complete and was twice as big in size apparently from me making a snapshot with FD-ISR.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is this: if I have two full backups running with ATI that would fill up my hard drive quickly. How do guys have 7 or 8 snapshots do it? No imaging program?

Anyhow, thanks for listening,
    John

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi John

First it is no longer necessary to ever disable preboot. That is old information.

Secondly, you are right snapshots impact your imaging time. To avoid that what I do is this. My primary snapshot, is my full working snapshot, about 18g. I have a second small snapshot, that is about 5 gig. All this is for is a place to boot FDISR, if there is a problem. I then keep FDISR archives of my primary snaphot, off disk, and use them as psuedo snapshots. Just can't boot to them. So if I need them, I boot to my secondary snapshot, and then can copy/update from the archives. This is actually faster, and also keeps my c: drive small.

Pete

3. wideglide36

Pete,

Thanks. I'll try some of your suggestions.

Why does it say to disable pre boot in the FD-ISR program if you use an imaging app?

Thanks again,
    John

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

The older versions of FirstDefense used to jealously guard and demand top priority over the Master Boot Record. The later versions no longer demand such control. (Or something like that :blink: ).

Acadia

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Also some imaging programs didn't either image or restore the mbr. That could cause issues. Today you can image and restore the mbr with acronis. Also the preboot stuff in FDISR has been moved from the mbr.

Pete

6. wideglide36

Thanks Guys,

Just to be sure though, I have FD-ISR Professional v3.21 build 205 and you're saying it is ok to leave pre boot enabled and run Acronis TI without issues?

TIA
    John

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I used FDISR and Acronis TI for more than one year successfully and I never disabled the Pre-boot, not even with older versions of FDISR. This combination never failed on me.
    Disabling Pre-boot = working without FDISR, no Immediate System Recovery anymore. So avoid this as much as possible.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Same here, i've had no trouble imaging with ATI v10 or v11 while the fd-isr pre boot screen is enabled.

9. wideglide36

Thanks to all,

Pre boot is enabled again.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.