FD-ISR a Retired Program?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by DVD+R, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

The Raxco website does not have FD-ISR anymore it had now been replaced with a Suite, does this mean no more updates for the Standalone FD-ISR? o_O I have 3.02 build 202 is this the last we get o_O Incidently, going back to my last post regarding Snapshots, My Hard Disk had taken up 17GB after Vista Ultimate install and MS Office 2007 Enterprise, but after installing FD-ISR and creating a Secondary Snapshot, both Snapshots read 27GB or 9% of my Hard Drive which is 320GB, where the Hell did the Extra 10GB Come from :blink:

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

FD-ISR will continue from other providers but whether your copy of FD-ISR or mine will ever be updated - who knows ?

Personally I'm not concerned. FD-ISR does what I want now. Secondly I have now found DeepFreeze which is both faster and takes up much less space.
    combined with Acronis this is a much better package for me.

This is the nature of computing. Even if FD-ISR is not retired it will inevitably be replaced ( as will all programs) by a better solution.

3. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I also bit worried about that. I really like FDISR. It gives me the another layer for my back up solution. Raxco did say that they will provide support for their customers.I think updates are not included, but i might be wrong. If i remember correctly Raxco will provide updates to people who bought maintenance contract...i think i read that somewhere. Corret if i am wrong.

Kristian

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  4. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

5. crash79`

crash79` Registered Member

I am at present using FDISR purchased from Raxco.
    I would like to evaluate Deepfreeze. Can I try it while FDISR is on my computer?
    Thanks,
    John

6. Long View

I haven't tried to use FD-ISR and Deep Freeze - yet. Both work with Acronis.
    So If you have Acronis you could make a system image and then try Deep Freeze.

with FD-ISR is it possible to archive a frozen snapshot ? if so I would make a frozen snap shot - save it to another drive - remove FD-ISR - install Deep Freeze and test. To go back to FD-ISR - uninstall Deep-Freeze. Install FD-ISR restore frozen image.......

to get them both to work together I guess you would install FD-ISR - make a second snapshot and install Deep Freeze to that ?

will try later when I have the time to put it all back together if/when it all goes wrong
    :)

7. crash79`

crash79` Registered Member

Thanks for your help.
    I shall leave it for the time being and await your final analysis. I'M not too adventurous for fear of mucking it up, applying the rule "If it's not broke don't fix it" too rigoursly sometimes.
    John

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You can copy/update from frozen snapshot to an archive and archives can be stored on another partition or another harddisk.
    But the indication that it was a frozen snapshot isn't stored in an archived snapshot.
    So when you restore the archive in a bootable snapshot, you have to freeze it again.

To do the DeepFreeze test, take first a total backup of your system and then it doesn't matter if the test goes wrong or not, unless you don't trust your Image Backup software.

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

hi, folks; I used FD-ISR for one year then adding DF, thinking to keep both, but I could not find the solution. What I did was to install DF first then FD-ISR, unfortunately, FD-ISR would not install. But I have not tested vice versa, maybe it will work. As to Acronis and DF, Long View, can you create Acronis' security archive zone? I find I can not create any partition while DF is installed, although DF has an option"clone".

10. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Thanks Mike. I saw thread, i think thats how Raxco is going to respect their commitment about customer who bought FDISR from them...if you know what i mean.

Kristian

11. Long View

Hi Perman

I have only been using Deep Freeze for a few days. I thought clone was to be used just to make an image.

Using Acronis and Deep Freeze together I opened Deep Freeze and thawed.
    The opening clone I clicked set flag. Then made a full image using Acronis to another drive. later I restored the image and froze.

I don't use Security Zone so can not really comment. I would be surprised if I could not make a new partition with Deep Freeze thawed.

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks; A bit OT,Hi long view, You may not be able to create any partition while DF is in presence whether thawed or freeze. I have tested w/ paragon partition manager and partition magic, both failed. However, if I uninstall DF first, then creating any partition will be like a piece of cake. After that you can decide which partition(volume) to freeze while installing DF. Perhaps this theory has prevented DF and FD-IRS from coexisting. I remember someone here has managed to make FD-ISR and Shadowuser to coexist--need to exclude $ISR working folder from ShadowUser.In DF ,it does not have such a option.

13. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

While DeeperFreeze may be a great choice for many, i prefer to take my chances with the recovery programs that have proven in my eyes to be the most stable & dependable. FD-ISR (Raxco) does that remarkably well 4 me and continues to this day. Luckliy i just nudged in right before Raxco officially discontinued distributorship of it. Whew!

I never been a big fan of any updated versions to a point, even where concerns $M Service Packs. Don't like the sudden unexpected surprise of something going wrong and at that moment not knowing why or what to do about it, or have to go running down a workaround or waiting for the solution.

It seems to me most all software programs have a, for lack of a better term, a near-perfect medium, where the program does everything it claims and perfectly stable. Then along comes a newer updated version that makes for some issue or conflict. You read about it all the time right here at Wilder's forums.

I don't doubt for one minute though that Leapfrog will continue to keep, now Bootback/Peer-isr, as great a program as the one Raxco distributed, since they are the origin of it (I Think).

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Your right. And Raxco promised to provide updates. I haven't given up on them keeping their promise yet.

15. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

The proof of the pudding will be when Leapfrog release their next version.

16. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I hope they, like every other program vendor, finally have got Vista compatibility issues fully resolved now so they can work on adding more new great features without hopefully bloating the project. LoL

FD-ISR is been one of those, once-in-a-lifetime innovations and hats off to their development team for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.