Faronics Anti-Executable Question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by alloucho, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

I have downloaded a copy of Faronics A-E to have a try. It scans the wohle drive then installs, reboots. After that i couldn´t run any exe. file. Is this the mission AE is intended to do?if yes, how could i install new stuffo_O??

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You have to turn it off to install new programs or to run programs that haven't been whitelisted (this is its job: deny execution to anything that is not whitelisted).

If you hold the 'Shift' key and double click the AE symbol it opens up the gui where you can disable AE for the download. After installing the program you can enable AE, and it will record the new program.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Osaban is correct. AE shoots any unauthorized executable (good or bad) immediately without asking questions.
    If you unzip any zipped file and it contains an unauthorized executable, AE will shoot it immediately and you won't even find the executable on your HDD.
    AE is my favorite security software, but some users consider it as a pain in the ... :)

AE on LOW is more flexible, but I've set it on HIGH. I'm looking forward to AEv3, which is still in beta.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Each reply is right on key, including your own concern if that's AE's mission.

AE is a SUPER striker on unWhitelisted executables and what gives you a secure edge.

No need to rehash the advice already given you but it's just that simple, turn OFF Anti-Exe (Temporarily) long enough to add your program then re-enable it and AE will auto-include it. I always like to run any program i add just to ensure when AE is back on, it's picked up and added.

AE is one of those very effective additional security layers that keeps things honest.

5. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

Thank you guys:D
    AE is now one of my favorites security stuff. I´m sure now that no one (family members) will install something on the pc without my permission:cool:

6. ErikAlbert

That is true, they don't know your AE-password, so they can't turn it OFF.
    They can't download any software installation file, not even a screensaver, because AE will kill it. :)

7. controler

controler Guest

ErikAlbert

I tried it and it works great. Can I get on the beta?

8. ErikAlbert

I don't know, I always wait for the final version, certainly with a software like AE, which is quite a change in your system.

9. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

10. controler

controler Guest

EK

I am not worried, I can run it in VMware first, I am using their new beta.
    I also have Windows Server 2008 Beta As my VM LOL
    yes AE runs like a deep rootkit ;)

Thankful thank you for the link. I will check it out.

11. ErikAlbert

In that case go ahead. I'm sure you know what you are doing.
    It's just a habit of me to warn users, not to use betas in general.
    I'm glad that Faronics forces users to ask for the beta version.
    Some developpers make their beta version available for everyone, unexperienced users might even think that beta is a part of the software name. :D

12. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I know people must have asked before however is there a script blocker to accompany AE?

13. ErikAlbert

Good question and I don't know the answer either.
    Another problem are exploits, they abuse whitelisted executables to do their evil job.
    I depend on my boot-to-restore to undo what scripts and exploits did to my system and hope it does.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  14. hammerman

hammerman Registered Member

Trying AE out for the first time.

I've had a couple of messages associated with AntiVir 8 auto-update. Also had a message from AV guard. What is the best way to deal with this? Do I add all AntiVir exe's to Trusted Applications? Do I need to add dll's aswell? Should I add AntiVir folder to Exempted Folders?

I have security setting to HIGH with delete/copy protection enabled.

Would welcome any advice.

15. ErikAlbert

I don't use scanners, but I had the same problem with FDISR, so I have put any FDISR-executable, I could find under Trusted Applications and since then I have no problems with FDISR anymore. Some other FDISR-users did the same thing.
    I guess the same will work for AntiVir-executables, I would start with executables only.

PS: I marked everything, except Delete Prevention, which was still a problem for FDISR.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  16. hammerman

hammerman Registered Member

Thanks for that valuable advice. I also use FDISR so i'm grateful for the warning.

17. ErikAlbert

On the Trust Applications-screen you will find an option to import/export all the executables. This means that you don't have to do this manually again.
    You can store that file along with the installation file of AE. I've done this myself, very practical !!!

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Erik?

And anyone else who has experience with Faronic's Anti-Executable.

Is it by chance by design that after you install it that you can't no longer add a SLAVE drive to that system as some security precaution?

If not i'm running into matching difficulties trying to do what any other time is a simple master/slave connect to two drives by setting the appropriate pin jumpers in the right designated slots.

I repeated what i know are the right steps again and again with regards to adding a Slave drive to the HD that has AE on it, but on boot up it errors me out every time. The slave drive doesn't even have to be bootable, just a storage drive, but it WILL NOT take with the drive that's implimenting AE.

If so, thats OK, but i really like to know without having to uninstall AE just to test this theory.

Thanks EASTER

19. ErikAlbert

My technical knowledge is too poor to answer such questions, I don't even know what a SLAVE harddisk is and I don't work with an open tower like you. I don't work with technical knowledge, I work with theoretical ideas and ask Wilders how to do it. Sorry. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.