false positive over and over again

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by emailaya, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emailaya

emailaya Registered Member

Re: yet another email i got....

and then what? im not sure the online scanner wont detect it as well... moreover, NOD32 blocks the file from executing on his computer. i can tell him to do a lot of things (exclusion, false positive, remove heuristic and more) but he will only think im cursing him... and the truth is i will agree with him.

i can tell him that the problem is only with NOD32 and maybe he should think of using a different antivirus but if he bought this one, not sure he will be happy to throw it away and buy another one "just for me".

i remember when i had the same problem with another application the developer gave me "instructions" on what to do, bottom line was to uninstall what i was using and install a different anti virus, needless to say i didnt do it.

antiviruses should have a lot of responsibility for what they are doing and if there is a problem, it needs to be fixed. all antiviruses already fixed this issue except one (guess which?) so you tell me from where should i (or that user) get the help/fix i (that user) need.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

just as much as the software developers do. The idea is to reassure the user that the prog is fine and the false positive(s), which are fact of life with AV in general, will be fixed at some stage.

3. emailaya

my app is fine, ESET people wrote that themeselves and still their "fix" is by me sending them the new version everytime and not fixing the mechanism and as you can see this solution is not good and as you can see, another potential customer gave up because of that (and he is not the only one). less customers means less money (income) for me, will eset ppl compensate me on that?

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

so no other AV is flagging your app?

5. emailaya

nope, magic ah?
    ONLY nod32 detects it and even with that, eset people admit its a false positive

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

download is blocked with latest 4153. Hopefully Eset will fix it soon. Did you actually test if other AVs also detect it?

7. emailaya

you mean still blocked, over 24 hours since i emailed them the file and still it is blocked, i hope that now u understand my problem, i dont even want to think about current users who suddenly can't work with it just because ESET think they shouldnt....

and again, NO OTHER antivirus have this problem, JUST nod32

i wonder if someone from eset will reply to this topic, i will be surprised if they will, they cause business problems and can't take the smallest responsible for it! if they were the one to be damaged im sure their reaction would be different but as long as it's not them... they spit...

you can read here that this is not a new issue: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=239306&highlight=emailaya and you can see how they refuse to take responsibility for their bugs

8. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

you are obviously constantly developing but because of your coding approach and Eset's approach in detecting malware there is a conflict. You need to persevere by sending them new version so that they can exclude it every time and at the same type asking them to have a more permanent solution or slightly amending your coding so that is not flagged by AV engine. let your users know that at the moment there is an detection issue and that you are in contact with Eset about it.

9. IBK

IBK AV Expert

I think what ESET suggested you to do was to submit them your file in advance, then they fix it (remove detection for it) and then you release your program on your website. If you would not have first released it on your website (on a saturday) like you did the previous times, you would not been always in the situation where you have to complain to eset afterwards that users are complaining to you about your program being flagged.
    btw, eSafe also has a FP on it (Suspicious File).

10. emailaya

we are having an old discussion here but i will reply:
    1) ESET REFUSE to tell me what is the cause of the false positive. they gave me only part of the reason and even that reason was partially. i wanted to know the reason so I can fix it but they are not cooperative in this matter.

2) im sending them the new version before releasing but just like now, almost 48 hours after i sent it to them, they still didnt fix it and in the meantime i get emails from potential customers saying they wont use it until it is fixed, BUT it will never be fix because ESET refuse to do so and the given solution is not good enough.

3) i asked them several times to give me a permanent solution to no avail. they refuse to fix it and refuse to give me a more complete information about the problem so even I can't fix it.

4) i can't reach ALL my users, specially not the new ones because they download it, it get blocked and the user moves on... he doesnt care for all this, his AV say this file is a virus, then it is a virus... he doesnt care for the story behind it

i hope now, my situation is clearer.

11. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

i meant place a note about false positive on your site

12. emailaya

really nice of you. you go all the way to the root of the problem but misses the main problem: if ESET would have fix this issue then ALL your explanation was irrelevant. even if we ignore the fact that this is NOT a serious solution (i hope u can agree on that) then the time to process their solution takes TOO LONG. im releasing my release according to my time schedule and i DONT need to do it according to ESET's, specially if almost 48 hours after sending them the sample file, they still DIDNT fix it!

about eSafe: i will ask them about it but i promise you this will be fixed very soon, unlike NOD32 which takes forever (or should i say never?) to fix that

here is a link from virus total:

~Link removed per forum Policy.~

now you tell me who's to blame here

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2009
  13. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I highly doubt that, Fp's I sent were never fixed, and they were a lot ;)

14. emailaya

this is a new case of FP since it was ok until recently, meaning they already fixed it once, im sure they will fix it again. unlike NOD32 the last FP case of eSafe was months ago (which was already fixed as i mentioned). NOD32 is one long consecutive FP which is not to be fixed by ESET, why? they wont tell u

dont get me wrong, FP might happen from time to time, but they are doomed to be fixed. if the developers tell me they wont fix it, then we have a problem. in other words: my problem is not the FP but ESET telling me they wont fix it.

15. emailaya

yesterday i sent them the final version to be released, maybe this time they will take it more seriously? anyway i thought of a great slogan for ESET:
    "the bug is ours, but it's your problem."
    catchy, no?

16. emailaya

i feel very honored reading this: http://news.softpedia.com/news/NOD32-Mistakenly-Flags-Photoshop-CS3-As-Virus-86284.shtml

even great apps like photoshop got beaten by NOD32. unfortunately im not adobe so even when it comes to days, they are not fixing it.

notice the irony, the problem was solved (completely) after several hours and the moderator said it took them time to find the source of the problem. in my case it takes them days! to simply whitelist the app (because they are not willing to fix it) and even then they dont find the respect of emailing me about it, they simply started to ignore their own solution.... how nice of them.

17. emailaya

small update:
    i want to thank Rmuffler (eset moderator) for his PM about trying to solve my problem. i want to express my gratitude to him and to hope that his actions will bring this story to its end.

18. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello emailaya,

I want to thank you for the post.

Concerning your issue, I have sent you another PM and our virus lab is working to get this resolved. Please let me know if you have further issues.

Thank you,
    Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.