failure to restore back-up

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by b5foan, Jun 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b5foan

b5foan Registered Member

Hey all,

the other day, the lenovo security software locked down my windows partition. I could boot but not access my accounts. Two weeks earlier, I had backed-up my C drive with TrueImage 9.0. So far, this hasn't been of any help. Here's what I've done (on an XP/FC3 dual boot IBM T41p):

Use the bootable Acronis disk: No external USB drive is recognized. (What's up with that?) No restore possible. A TrueImage version 7 boot disk will recognize the USB drives but not the images created with version 9.

I put an empty hard drive (drive 2) into the notebook, instore the original installation from the IBM recovery disks, reinstall and load Acronis, and restore my C drive from my back-up disk (disk 3) to my original laptop hard disk (disk1, now connected via USB). I put disk 1 back into my laptop, and the immediate result is that I cannot boot into XP at all. Grub offers linux and windows, but only linux will load. I create a bootable CD with the Acronis MBR tool to fix the master boot record. Result, not so surprising: Grub is gone - and I can still not boot into Windows. I put disk 2 back in, boot into the restored original Windows, start Acronis, try to restore my windows installation from the backup. Acronis cannot do that, needs exclusive control over the disk. I reboot, Acronis boot loader loads, and I'm offered a selection of hard disks to select the archive from, but my back-up disk is not shown. Why?

How do I restore from a USB hard drive? Why is the restored installation not bootable? Why did I buy TrueImage?

Exhausted after three days of digging around.

Andreas

2. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

Turn OFF the computer with the Boot-CD in the CD/DVD Rom.
    Next, turn ON the USB External. Then Re-boot the computer.

The Device has to be turned on, and booted up with the Boot-CD for it to be recognized.

3. b5foan

b5foan Registered Member

Ok, after reinstalling grub (booting FC3 installation disk in rescue mode, chroot into /mnt/sysimage, grub-install /dev/hda), I'm now where I was 24 hours ago. I have a grub screen that lets me boot linux but now windows (hangs with Booting 'Other', rootnoverify (hd0,0), chainloader +1).

The problem is thus reduced to this: Why is the windows XP image restored with TrueImage 9 not bootable?

Might this be useful information??
    sfdisk -l tells me /dev/hda1 is bootable, but complains that:
    "Warning: start=63 - this looks like a partition rather than
    the entire disk. Using fdsik on it is probably meaningless."

Andreas

4. b5foan

b5foan Registered Member

That's what I'm thinking. Just in case I'm going soft in the brain, I repeated the procedure:
    CD in drive
    Computer turned off
    USB drive attached
    USB drive turned on (yes, it's on, I can feel it spin)
    Computer turned on
    boots from CD
    I pick TrueImage full version
    Acronis loader only sees IBM_PRELOAD (C: ), SHARED (D: ), CD-DRIVE (E: ), Network Neighborhood, but does not see the USB hard drive. I also find this hard to believe.

Thanks for your help.

Andreas

5. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

Did you choose the Full mode instead of the the "Safe" mode procedure on the Acronis boot screen?

P>S ....Your External may not be listed like it is in Windows. It may be named another drive letter.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Andreas,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (3666) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

Please create the bootable rescue media with the latest build, boot your computer from it and see whether your external USB hard drive is available.

If the problem persists with the latest build, please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the selection screen appears. After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, please modify it in the following way:

quiet acpi=off noapic, click on the OK button and choose "Full Version".

If that doesn't help, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.