Failing to scan files?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by B-2-0, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B-2-0

B-2-0 Registered Member

Hi guys & gals :)

If i run a scan on my C: drive with NOD32 it scans around 15000 files.

I also run the free 'Housecall' scan by Trend Micro and this scans 50000+ files.

I had Norton 03 before NOD32 and i seem to remember this scanning the same amount as the housecall....anyone know what's going on?

Thx,

B

2. B-2-0

B-2-0 Registered Member

I just noticed that theese boxes are not checked in the setup menu.

Runtime Packers
    Archives
    E-mail Files

I am guessing my problem comes from not scanning the archives, right?

Do i need the Runtime Packers box checked....i have no clue what it is :oops:

I would have thought that at least the archives box would have been checked as default....anyone know a reason why it aint?

Thx,

B

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

My good buddy here misplaced his post in the "version 1" forum and asked me just now on teamspeak why there was no response - so I looked and here he is in the right place now :D

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

B-2-0

I would suggest you try any setting you like. That's why those options are there.

I have noticed no slowdown no matter which way I scan.

The help file that comes with NOD is a wealth of information.

Some antivirus programs "count" scanned files in different ways. Is it one zip file or is it one zip file with all the files counted within that zip file for instance.

NOD states that it comes optimized out of the box.

I would scan the way that is most comfortable to you.

:)

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Rodzilla, who is the distributor for NOD32 in Australia, (and the father of this forum) would agree wholeheartedly when I say that Eset has made an error in judgement in setting the defaults in NOD32 to "a medium" level instead of setting them at a "high" level as many other AV vendors do. Hopefully, Eset will change this in the future. As it is now, the user has to go in and set everything to maximum.

Yes, you should have runtime packers and archives checked and email if you want NOD32 to check that. If you have IMON running it has already checked your email so it's up to you if you want NOD32 scanner to check it also.

On the setup page for NOD32 do you have it set to scan all files under extensions? That also is unchecked by default. I think all these things should be checked by default and then the user can go in and make the settings less strict instead of the way it is now where the default settings are not at all strong and is the responsibility of the user to make strong settings. Many people new to NOD32 don't realize this.

Attached Files:

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

7. B-2-0

B-2-0 Registered Member

Great stuff guys....thanx a lot!!

That thread you pointed me to was especially helpful Blackspear :)

I am now scanning everything.

I was pretty much set up the way you explained there but i prefer to get an alert at the sign of any trouble rather than have NOD delete a non-cleanable virus as i am using the deep heuristics scan method....i can see why you try and persuede people to do it that way though ;)

NOD really is a great bit of kit and i for one will be pimping it to all my friends and i will using it for a long time to come.

Thx again,

B

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Me too! :D

9. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

I do to. One thing I did notice and this can be for those who have RA and RC. I had it set to alert, but the users once were infected were just canceling by and not calling me. I created a config file that would clean their hard drive, and if it couldn't clean it would delete. It would also connect to the RA server every 5 minutes so I can keep tabs on it. I have set them to 90 minutes due to network traffic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.