Failed recovery from Image of C: partition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Benson, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benson

Benson Registered Member

My system crashed. It is a Sony Vaio that has the hard drive partitioned into C: and D: D: is used by Sony to hold a system restore. I had previously saved an image of the entire hard drive (full plus differential backup) on a Firewire-connected external HD (Seagate).

I booted from the TI rescue CD to try to restore the image of my C: partition saved on the external HD on J:. However, the boot did not recognize the existance of this drive.

Unable to use my saved image, I used Vaio's system restore option to get the C: partition back to where it had been when I purchased it in 1/05. I then re-installed the latest version of TI 9.0 from the website.

I performed a chkdsk/r of C: and J:. I then verified the backed up differential archive image on J.

I tried to perform a recovery of C: form the image on J: . Things go well until the system reboots and the Acronis Loader installs. First there is an error message: "usb.c USB device not accepting new address=2 err==71" and "usb.c USB device not accepting new address=3 err==71".

After a pause, the Acronis loader continues with a screen stating that it is Analyzing partition 0-0. After this starts there is another error message: "E000101F4: Failed to read data from the disk. Failed to read the sector # of the hard disk 1.

If I hit ignore all, I get a message that the operation completed with errors, the program terminates, and Windows loads - without the restored image of C:.

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

I think the problem is the firewire drive. Can you beg, borrow or steal :D a usb drive to hold the backup images, and then try the restore again. And this time do it with the bootable rescue cd.

3. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello Benson,

If your external HD is not seen from rescue environment, try the following workarounds in connection with booting from Rescue CD:

- apply the "quiet acpi=off noapic" parameter as detailed in the Please Read Before You Post sticky;
    - disconnect every unneeded USB device;
    - don't use an USB hub, plug the external drive directly;
    - connect and power up the external drive before booting from Rescue CD (or just after the CD drive starts if the external drive is set on top of the boot order list);
    - wait for a minute on the selection screen to give time to the external to initialize before proceeding;
    - select the Safe version of TI instead of the Full (which should be the first choice).

4. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

This sounds like a job for the Bart PE disk! In addition I would email Acronis Support and see if they can make a recovery disk image that will work for you (they did this for me, takes a few days but it's good to have).

5. Benson

Benson Registered Member

Thanks for everyone's help. As suggested, I connected the external HD via USB instead of Firewire. I still couldn't get the rescue CD to work. If I added the suggested Linux command line after hittin F11 and then selecting the Full version (the safe mode doesn't recognize USB), the loading of the Acronis console would freeze up. If I tried booting without the change in Linux command line, then Acronis would load after again giving the error that "usb.c USB device not accepting new address=2 err=-101"

However, if I the recovery through Windows, it was able to detect the image on the external HD and was able to restore this. Hurray!;)

I still don't know why recovery doesn't work when using the rescue CD, which was made using the latest build.o_O

6. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Oh ... did you have Windows and TI on a second internal hard drive?

7. Benson

Benson Registered Member

No, I have only 1 internal HD. The external HD does not have windows or acronis on it, just the .tib files.

8. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

It sounds like you have the same problem as I do. I was able to copy my Image to my external drive and I could also mount it. When I tried to recover from my external drive TI couldn't see it. What I ended up doing was I would boot up with the rescue disk and when I saw choices to boot to "safe" "full" or "windows", I chose full, once full was mounted, I than plugged in my usb drive and closed the Acronis loader which caused a reboot, when it rebooted, to the Acronis loader once again , I once more picked "full" there was my external drive. Don't know if this will work for you or not, but worth a try.
    I wish you luck.

9. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I also have an enclosure which at first could not be seen at all. With the workarounds described in post #3 I succeeded to make it visible from the rescue environment and thought I had solved the problem. Until I found out that it wouldn't appear in the restore destination screen (image size not being a problem). For any other function the external was visible and accessible.

So it would seem that the compatibility between chipsets and Linux drivers can manifest itself in different degrees.

10. woofster

woofster Registered Member

The Safe version lacks USB support.. so how would someone actually do this?

11. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You try and see if it works and if it doesn't you abandon it. Some motherboards and their BIOS will let you use USB devices in Safe mode apparently. However, those that have done it have said it is very slow. The original intent of Safe mode may have been to allow recovery off of internal HDs when the Full mode won't load. Full is Linux, Safe is DOS.

12. Peter Wilding

Peter Wilding Registered Member

I'm having the same problem.

system won't reboot now after a restore image to C:

13. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.