Failed backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Soliton, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soliton

Soliton Registered Member

I was perrforming a full back up to DVD media. On the 8th disk I got the following errors:

Error Module 7 4(0x70004) Failed to write data to archive : A possible reason may be poor media quality.

(note the only option was to click OK, then Backup terminated and log shows)

Error Module 1 502(0x101f6) Operation with partition 0-0 (....plus some additional info)

Error Module 100 5(Ox640005) Operation has completed with errors.

----

Is there any way of completing this backup or do I have to start again? I must admit I would have expected a prompt to try a different disc rather than is just terminating.

Using ATIv11

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Backing up with True Image directly to dvd media is one of the most frustrating and hair pulling features of the software. But the real surprise comes when you try to restore from those dvd discs. For a backup that takes 4 or more discs there is a neverending sequence of swapping the discs in and out during the restore. You'll begin to think your drive will wear out before the process is done.

It is so much better to invest in an external usb drive to use for the backups. I know this isn't what you want to hear but wait for others to put in their suggestions.

3. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

"Downndirty " is right-use an external HD or even flash drives-they've come down in :) price a lot.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Unfortunately, you would have to start over.

As noted, restoring from 8 or more DVDs would be a horrible experience and you would likely be hospitalized with TI swapitis.

However, if you backup to a hard drive and split the image at 4.7GB in TI, you can burn the pieces to DVDs much faster than the time it takes TI to write the DVDs. Furthermore, if you copy the DVDs back to the hard drive before attempting the restore, there will be no swapping required (except in the copy process).

Therefore, you can buy a relatively small hard drive, just large enough for one backup, and have it installed internally or externally if money is tight and store additional backups on DVDs.

An advantage of having backups on DVDs is that you can store them at another location for protection from a disaster such as fire or theft which would leave you without either your computer or a local backup drive.

5. Soliton

Soliton Registered Member

Thanks guys for your responses.

Well, I have purchased a 750gb hard drive, so that should keep me going for a while.

I do think, thought, that any sane program would offer a retry if it didn't like a particular piece of removable media. to pack up and go home seems very imature response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.