F-Secure Support for Internet Security and Anti-Virus is ending,

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bob D, Feb 14, 2023.

1. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

"We have great news for you. Support for Internet Security and Anti-Virus is ending,"
    Not great news here. Will have to look elsewhere when my AV license expires...

2. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

3. darts

darts Registered Member

You don’t hear much these days about F-Secure. How are they doing these days?

4. waking

waking Registered Member

5. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Sure you do, this forum is just dead as a doornail. That being said? Absolutely fantastic. And I personally haven't come across any FPs in real world usage.

6. darts

darts Registered Member

Thank you , what forum is better then for Security stuff

7. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

I am using it now, I was previously using Defender. I find FSecure better than Defender in these ways, it is lighter, it updates way faster and the GUI is far superior. It probably provides better protection as well unless you have augmented Defender with DefenderUI or Configure Defender, this is just an assumption on my part though. You can get a smoking deal for it at Serial Cart.

8. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

There are two forums that I use, this one and Malware Tips.

9. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Those products are all quite different. While they are using signatures from other products, other protection components will be very different.

11. entropism

entropism Registered Member

GData and F-Secure use their own engines as well. I can't remember which of the Totals it is, but one of them is a complete sham of an AV.

12. roger_m

That's TotalAV, which is also sold under the names PCProtect and Scanguard.

13. Raza0007

Its not just the signatures, the processing engine under the hood that determines whether a file is malware or not is Avira's. Looking closely it seems to me that the internet security offered by F-Secure is just a rebranded Avira internet security. So the test results where F-Secure blocked 512 with 18 FPs, Avira blocked 509 with 6 FPs and TotalAV blocked 506 with 5 FPs does not make any sense.

F-Secure used to use bitdefenders engine for a long time, they then switched to Avira's engine. I don't believe they ever had their own scanning engine.

But I don't use F-Secure, so I will take your word for the discrepancy in the test results. My only interest in F-Secure is because it is offered free to subscribers by one of the leading US internet providers (Charter Spectrum). Had I not had a free security product from work, I would have been using this instead.

By the way, in 2022, F-Secure de-merged into two companies, the actual F-Secure is now corporate only, while the branded F-Secure only offers consumer products under a different team.

According to the information available on the web from third parties, F-Secure just uses Avira's engine. They themselves word it differently in an attempt to give an impression that their offering is superior to their competitors or partners.

14. vonvon

vonvon Registered Member

I have been using F-Secure for years. It uses the excellent Avira signatures and adds their really effective “DeepGuard” behavioral blocker. In addition, this antimalware is very light and silent.

15. Raza0007

I am sure it is. I am not ragging on F-Secure. I was just confused with the test results carried out by av-comparatives. These tests have had their controversies in the past, where some vendors have refused to take part in them due to perceived bias.

16. vonvon

vonvon Registered Member

I think you are much better informed than me, I was just talking about my experience with f-secure which I really like, as do Eset and formerly Kaspersky.

17. roger_m

F-Secure uses a lot of their own technology too as well as Avira's. None of their products is a rebrand. I'm not aware of any rebrands of Avira.
    https://malwaretips.com/threads/wit...y-cloud-and-deepguard-whitepapers-pdf.122410/

18. vonvon

vonvon Registered Member

Just a late clarification, Capricorn is the name given by F-Secure to the Avira engine

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.