F-Secure IS 2007 v KIS 6.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Simon6776, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

I agree with you to a point. Yes, it is quite a large suite, but the problems I had were not due to resources. When it was installed and running, it was fine, and I noticed no system drag at all. In fact, I think, even with the web traffic scanner on, web pages opened slightly more quickly than with KIS. I wanted to like this suite - well, I do like this suite, and I wish it worked properly on my machine. When I get a new PC, or at some point, perhaps format my existing hard drive and reinstall Windows, I would certainly give FSIS another try. It should work on all machines though, and it just seems to be a bit of a prima donna if it doesn't get all it's own way.

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Yes, that is correct.
    My query to FS is relative to the fact that I bought, off ebay, a 3 year subscription for FS IS 2006. I tried to update it to 2007, and it would not recognize the license. The 2006 shows that the license is for three years, and I assumed it would upgrade for that period. However, it may not. I just want to know.

I find that the 2006 IS does not function as well as the 2007, which I tried out, and hope that I can upgrade to the 2007.
    I suppose I could lived with the 2006, but I like KAV enough better that I might not stay with the FSIS 2006 for that long.
    I PM you about that.

Best,
    Jerry

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok Jerry i will be waiting for that pm
    my fall back av's are nod32 or antivir premium.
    lodore

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I sent it the 15th. Is your inbox full?

I did get a reply from F-Secure Support today. I gave them a bum rap about not replying. Now to see what happens. It is an OEM, and they might not support that with upgrades for three years. If not then I will charge it to experience. I do find that 2007 is definitely superior to 2006.

Jerry

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i got that pm and i read it but forgot to reply lol.
    and f-secure support can be slow at email replys.
    2007 is better than the 2006 your right.
    2006 suffers from the red icon above the f-secure icon quite coming at startup and you have to wait for it to go away before it updates. (red cross over blue f-secure icon means update problem)
    lodore

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, bottom line on this thread.

both will secure you fully, although i believe f-secure to be slightly better here, kaspersky has the less system usage, but they are both advanced products so it really is... whatever the user prefers, both have pros and cons just as every product does, so you decide :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yup thats very true other wise we could he here forever e.g. i could reccomend kav but then you say f-secure is better etc etc.
    lodore

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Numerous way off topic posts removed and a number of off topic posts split out of this thread and placed in this thread for further discussion.

Bubba

9. daddymo3

daddymo3 Registered Member

How is the F-Secure firewall? Are they still using Adaware as their AS? I can get the suite for free from my internet provider.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the f-secure firewall isnt to bad.
    and yes they still use ad aware as antispyware but if you can get the 2007 version then do because they have improved the antispyware somehow.
    thye also use the kaspersky extended database.
    lodore

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

its good, it works very well with deepguard thats for sure.

if the firewall will miss something, deepguard will not... cleverly coded :)

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the deepguard can block safe things like e.g drivers.
    so i reccomend changing the deepguard to alert you on all actions or else it could block sound card/graphics drivers etc so be aware.
    it blocked my creative sound card driver and it was a pain because i had to do quite alot of clearing out the install files for creative then had to change f-secure to alert me on all actions so i can allow it and not block it.
    tbh i dont really like that type of hips i prefer something more like online armor.
    the 2007 version doesnt have the update problems but it does have install and uninstall problems at least on my pc.
    i dont even like proactive defence in kis6.0 to much because it gives to many popups.
    lodore

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I tend to think that the average user is confused by PDM and similar modules. Too often the alerts do not give enough information to make a decision. When I am downloading or making some changes I expect alerts, and know what to do, but there have been a few times when I did not.

In spite of that I have all the elements of the PDM activated, and there are not a lot of popups. I still would not recommend some of those AVs to my "grandmother."

Best,
    Jerry

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats why i got my sister antivir because she wanted an av that just does it work without any popups.
    so i set it to update in the background and to deal with malware itself
    first option repair
    second option qurantine
    i know what to do with the popups but they can still be annoying sometimes.
    the last one was what could of been malware due to the way it oparated.
    i used the crutical memory checker and pdm alerted me of a hidden driver do i want to allow i did because i knew it was the memory checker and was safe but it could of been malware.
    i cant wait for the pdm whitelist.
    its annoying when you try to open a side tab in windows explorer such as
    search by pressing ctl and f pdm once alerted me about it alli wanted to do was use the windows bulti in search lol.
    lodore

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I really dont understand how you can compare these 2. Its like comparing Lance Armstrong to a Sumo wrestler. F Secure is heavy and slow. It feels like suites from 4 years ago. KIS, is like Norton, the newer breed. The rest are stuck in the middle.:rolleyes:

16. ethan_arends

ethan_arends Registered Member

Of course u can't compare those two...in fact u can't compare KAV/KIS with any another av...unless u uncheck iCheck and iSwift. With this KAS will pass/don't scan a lot of files like it's not there (or u delete them :rolleyes: )
    I tried them both suites and both are great...top detection...but both are kind a heavy sometimes when u work on comp and that's because kav engine, it scan slow and that's the reason the KL team comes with iCheck and iSwift.
    Everyone should try them and see how those work.

17. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I don't know why but the only time I tried F-Secure Antivirus 2006 it got killed my PSU while performing the initial full system scan after the installation. I didn't take care of the system warning 'beeps' so the PSU got blasted...

It still remains as a mistery to me :ninja:

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

maybe the psu was gonna go anyway and it just happerned at that point
    lodore

19. Macstorm

AFAIK, FS AV 2007 includes the Lavasoft's ad-aware module as its antispyware feature so my question is: do I need to uninstall my current Ad-Aware SE Personal before to install the trial of FS AV 2007?

Greetings

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I had to uninstall it when I installed FS AV.

Jerry

21. Macstorm

Useful info, thanks Jerry :)

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

So far it reminds me of all the things I have wanted a suite to be and yes I have to admit, the Kas scanning engine is good. But this is honestly, the best suite I have ever bought. Not worth $80.00 though, no suite is. Light for me. All the good things of Kis and all the anoying things left out.

23. Simon6776

I said this in another thread, but I think it's useful, so I'll repeat it. Here in the UK, F-Secure IS 2007 can be purchased OEM for a little over £15 from Ebuyer, so it might be worth searching a few of your US online retailers for OEM versions, as you could save yourself a packet.

24. Simon6776

Just to update (and to annoy everyone :D ) as a glutton for punishment, I decided to email FS support about my freezing manual scan problem, and they sent me a newer version to install (fs2007sp1), so I thought I'd try it. Installed fine, but the scan problem was still there, however, doing Scan Hard Drives or the Quick Rootkit Scan work fine, so it's just the spyware scanner which causes a problem, when used separately, or with Full System Scan. I still like the suite, so I am going to stick with it for now (at least until the evaluation expires, then I'll decide whether to register it). I can live with the slightly long boot up, as it's nanoseconds compared to Norton, and I can use SuperAntiSpyware as my manual spyware scanner, so that's fine too. I miss KIS a bit, but I don't miss the PDM pop ups. The FSIS firewall is virtually silent, and I have only had three pop ups so far. I am also finding, for some reason, that my internet connection speed seems to be faster, since installing FSIS, so that's one bloody good reason for keeping it!

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I trialed FSIS 2007, and I ran well on my laptop. I have not tried KIS, and may not do so for sometime.

I still have not heard whether or not FS folks will let me update my 2006 FSIS to the 2007 version. I am waiting to see. It was an OEM, and I do not know if they will support it as such for the upgrade/update. The fact that it was a 3 year license may be complicating the issue.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.