F-secure and the registry

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by egghead, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Hi everybody,

After trialing f-secure internet security 2006 I've removed the software from my pc (so I thought). It left an enormous amount of debris in the registry.
    By using regseeker, ccleaner and tuneup utilities I've removed most of the debris.
    However a number of 12 references all in hkey_classes_root seem impossible to remove. I have also tried to delete them manualy to no avail.
    After a new run of the above mentioned software the same 12 references are there again.
    :mad: o_O
    Is here somebody that has a solution ?
    thanks

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If the trial version of RegSupreme does not work, try manually removing in Safe Mode.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If those entries are listed as legacy items they will not delete in the normal way. But they can be deleted, I do it all the time. if you need more info let me know.

4. egghead

blackcat,
    *tried to remove references in safe modus (with the mentioned software as well as manualy); did not work
    *regsupreme only found 2 references, when I used a link from the references to the registry and tried to remove the references I got a message: "an error appeared when removing the key". :doubt: thanks for your response

bigc73542,
    don't know what you mean with "legacy items" but all help is appreciated.
    thanks.

5. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Would really like to know how you delete legacy items also, because that would really clean your register!!!
    Thanks in advance.

6. bigc73542

before you try to delete anything from the registry you really ought to back it up. OK here we go When you are searching the registry and come upon an entry to your search and can't delete it as it says it is a legacy entry you can still get rid of it. Right click on the entry and then click on permissions then check the box all. (it is the left hand top check box) then ok and then go back and delete the entry You must be logged in as admin

EDIT THE REGISTRY AT YOUR OWN RISK

7. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Working great......thank you bigc! ;)

8. egghead

bigc73542,

you're my man !

all references are deleted in the bigc way.:D :D :D :D

Thanks!

9. bigc73542

Really glad you had good results. with a little care it is pretty safe to edit the registry.

bigc

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I realize that there are differences in the programs, but does not F-Secure use the KAV engine, and if so is KAV that difficult to uninstall?

Jerry

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

No, not really, besides any program (& especiallly FW's & AV's) will leave both files/foldes and also regkeys behind, some programs seems to be only uninstalled from the list in add/remove programs, for example i have Bitcomet on my DVD back up's and always uninstall when i have done a reinstall of HD, i use Total Uninstall and first uninstall via add/remove programs, the reboot and use Total Uninstall to remove completely and practicly everything is still there untill TU removes it. :eek:

This is why it is always a good idea to do some cleaning after a unstall, otherwise the buildup could be quite impressive in 6-12 months.:)

12. egghead

It uses KAV engine, like many other companies do.
    After removing F-secure IS it left more than 800 ! references in the registry.
    Overall it is a good product though and it will protect you very well, but it is not my cup of tea.

KAV is not difficult to uninstall, but this is not a wise thing to do. ;)
    I am not being objective here: I am a kasperskynaut and I'll keep it that way:D :D :D

13. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

F-Secure AV uses multiple engines apart from KAV and the F-Secure Suite is a lot more bloated than the AV. So there is potentially a lot more to remove.

IME, KAV 5 and even the beta 2006 are not difficult to uninstall and there are specific cleaners for KAV to give a more complete clean up.

Have a look here at one of Don's posts.

14. bigc73542

I have had F-Secure Internet Security installed /uninstalled several times and I usually have between 8/12 entries that I manually remove and these are all legacy entries. really no big deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.