F Secure 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by silat, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silat

silat Registered Member

I installed their product and did not see a task bar icon so I called support.
    After they used a remote program they told me that I couldnt run any other type of security app while running F Secure.
    Specifically they singled out Returnil ( even though it isnt running its AV ) , SuperantiSpyware (running) and Malwarebytes on demand only.

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If an AV will not run with MBAM I don't even consider it.
    Jerry

3. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Glad I read this. I was just about to install F-Secure 2011 for a test drive.
    Like you, I refuse to audition any application that will not co-exist with MBAM.

Thanks for posting and saving me the trouble.

4. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I think it's more likely that it is some standard answer from a not so knowledgeable person on the phone support team than that Fsecure wouldn't work properly even with just on-demand scanners.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ive had mbam on my computers when i had f-secure and no problems with on demand scans. i dont have a pro license so cant test real time.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

same here

7. jaodsvuda

jaodsvuda Registered Member

I´m driving similar combo (F-Secure IS 2011 + MBAM free + Zemana + Mamutu...) since May and have no issues at all.MBAM is on-demand,but Zemana is not "light as a feather".

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

In the past, maybe 3 or so years ago I ran FS with MBAM, SAS, and Win Patrol. All were real time. I did not experience any problems, so maybe this is just ignorance on the part of that tech.
    I have been told by other AV support folks not to run other applications with their AV. The latest was Avira, and the first was Bit Defender. I never went back to BD, and ditched Avira. I will probably trial Avira some day, but if it won't run with MBAM it is a non starter.

I have known of a couple of friends with top tiered AVs that were up to date, who were infected with rogues. Their AV did not catch or remove it, but one quick scan with MBAM did so.

I am persuaded that at least some measure of layering is necessary, hence my sig.

PS F-Secure is too expensive when compared to some other top AVs.

Jerry

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  9. silat

silat Registered Member

I went higher up and they stood by the tech.
    The response was, "thanks for trying" our product.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

But we all know it was just a canned response read from a script.

11. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Absolutley not true,but If they said its not recommended to run other RT antivirus or antimalware together with F-Secure there might be some credibility to that statement,but to not run any other security is simply BS.

12. silat

silat Registered Member

LOL

That kind of support does not inspire confidence.

13. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Easeus 3 todo backup is not working with f secure .. ne 1 else having same problem ?

14. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I decided to try F-Secure Internet Security after reading the posts following my first in this thread.

I already had MBAM free on-demand installed, so after installing F-S with no problems encountered, I also installed Superantispyware Pro (trial) and so far have no software conflict to report.
    No problem either with Sandboxie, Keyscrambler, or Comodo Time Machine.
    My OS is XP Home/SP-2 and the only negative is that everything is slightly slower- not surprising considering my CPU is a Pentium 4 630 in a nearly six year old Dell desktop.

15. silat

silat Registered Member

I know they work with F Secure. But F Secure said they dont. F Secure blamed my lack of taskbar icon on these other programs.
    And it wasnt just one call to them. I wanted to use F Secure but they refused to help me and stuck to their script.
    Im trying Eset Nod AV 2011 now.

16. Sher

Sher Registered Member

I have been using FIS 2011 with MBAM(free/on-demand) and SAS(free/on-demand) for a long time now with absolutely no problems. The problem is with two real time programs running together simultaneously.

Another sensible option is to exclude these two programs from real time virus scanning. That said, you are good to go.

17. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Isn't there a chance the drivers from Returnil's AV could be conflicting with F-Secure? I've heard they can do that and that's why you shouldn't have two AVs period, even if the real-time protection of one is disabled, ie: having Avast! and Avira with Avira's real-time protection disabled.

18. Sher

Sher Registered Member

Exactly. Don't install two real time programs together. The drivers do conflict.

19. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I just installed FIS and it didnt ask to unistall mbam

20. Sher

Sher Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  21. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Im using the free version ..not the pro version

22. Sher

Sher Registered Member

Still, do that!

23. silat

silat Registered Member

I made it clear to them that I dont have Returnils AV running. That didnt change there story one bit.

24. windowsdefender

windowsdefender Registered Member

It is just drivers.

25. Sher

Sher Registered Member

If it's a real time program, it will conflict with F-Secure. No rocket science.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.