f-prot

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That reads February 10, 2006 to Americans.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Huh, how can it be 10th february if it says 2nd oct (October)?

Thats:
    2006-10-2 ISO date
    10.2.2006 US date
    2.10.2006 EU date

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

It says 02/10/2006 in GUI. Look back at the pic.

Americans read that as month (Feb) day (10) year (2006). Europeans, and many others, read it as day (02) month (October) year (2006.

I get confused frequently because of this difference. We say "February 10" and Europeans say "2 October". The latter sounds very odd and awkward to me when speaking ...putting the day in front of the month. ;)

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

And who says FRISK is an american company? I'm not sure but Island could as well be using european date formatting. Besides, what would be the purpose of giving away expired licenses? Common sense my friend...:D
    2nd October 2006 is the correct expiry date...

5. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Driving on the wrong side of the road confuses me ;)
    ellison

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I never said they were an American company. I understand why they use the European dating format. I was just commenting that it is very confusing for Americans just as I would imagine American dating format is confusing to Europeans. ;)

Who is Island?

And yes, common sense works IF you are aware that the format is European. That, very frequently is not apparent. In this case, knowing that Frisk is not an American company and that reading that the American way makes no logical sense makes it easy to know how to read that correctly. This is not the case though on some forums that use European format. I am perpetually confused on my home site which is located in New York City but the owner is Australian so the site uses the European format for dates for forum posts. Since the site is located in New York, most assume it uses America format and that leads to confusion. It is very difficult to read the dates the European way when one has spent their entire life reading it the American way.

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just so it's clear to all, the dating format in some of the screenshots shown previously are tied to the localization of the machine, not this particular application. See here for an earlier screenshot with US date conventions...

Blue

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I think RejZoR meant Iceland!

9. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Don't you have an option to change that? The attached screen shows the options I have.

Gerard

Attached Files:

10. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Yes, correct, the date convention in F-PROT is tied to my settings in the Regional Options, which is date, month and year.

Attached Files:

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

No, that request has been made repeatedly of the site owner but we still all see the date format as European. Heck, Hawaii just recently got its time zone on that site....almost five years after I joined and started begging for it. I had to use Western time zone and subtract two hours during standard time and three hours during daylightsavings as Hawaii does not have daylight savings time...it was confusing and irritating. The owner gave Alaska its time zone but refused Hawaii for many years. The site still doesn't have all world time zones...just a few.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.