EZ Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by manythanks, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manythanks

manythanks Guest

Can anyone give a set of rules for IE and outlook express to use with EZ Firewall or any rules for applications, the idea is to shut down ports I dont need and use the ones I do use.

manythanks

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I don't use EZFirewall myself but would suggest you allow the following ports for outgoing connections:
    • Browsers: HTTP (80) and HTTPS (443) for browsing, FTP-DATA (20), FTP (21), and 1025-65535 for downloading files. Depending on your setup you may need proxy (8080) or other ports also.
    • Email clients SMTP (25) for sending email, POP3 (110) or IMAP (143) for receiving it.
    Note that some email messages may contain links to images hosted on websites - you would need to allow connections to port 80 (HTTP) for these to be shown but I would advise against allowing this since so many spam emails (ab)use this technique to cause your email client to connect to the spammers' servers - thereby allowing them to confirm your email address as "live" as well as your location (IP address) and the time you read the email.

For a list of protocols and port numbers, check the IANA Assigned Port Numbers List.

Also, if you are concerned about security consider using alternatives to IE and Outlook - these are security disasters due to sloppy design by Microsoft. Try Firefox for web access and Thunderbird for email.

3. manythanks

manythanks Guest

Thanks Paranoid2000.

4. unseen

unseen Guest

Paranoid2000

You my friend are a genius! And nothing less! Thanks for all your GREAT posts here at Wilders!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.