Extremely slow recovery from external usb disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Incog, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Incog

Incog Registered Member

After my troubles in the last post, I still wanted to do a test recovery from my usb external disk to a internal ide hard drive. Also as before, trying to do something in TI10 from within windows did not work. So I resorted to using the boot disk. After booting to the disk, I chose full so I could use my usb external hd which has the mybackup.tib on it. It stated that it could not address the usb, so I restarted and used the command "quiet acpi=off noapic". It now could see the external usb drive and I selected recovery, chose the mybackup.tib file, selected the entire disk, and pushed next. At this point nothing seemed to happen. Any keystroke or mouse click made the internal speaker of my mobo squeal. I restarted and tried again. This time after pushing "next", I got a phone call. While talking on the phone after about 5 minutes, I noticed that my usb drive was being accessed (led blinking) . I checked back 25 minutes later and it was still accessing my drive. 10 minutes later it switched to the screen to select the destination drive. I chose the internal IDE drive and then a next / delete partitions... Change priority to High etc. Finally It started restoring the backup. After about 15 minutes, it told me that there were 3 days remaining. While the urge was there to say WTF, I had read in these forums that the estimate is usually wrong. 90 minutes later, it said 2 days 23 hrs then I hit cancel. I'm really not liking this. Another clue might be whenever I click a button it seems that the screen re-draws itself slowly (about 3 seconds from top to bottom) Any help would be appreciated.

specs:
    asus A8N-VM CSM mobo
    3700+ cpu
    2 gb ram
    2 X 160 gb sata II hd's in raid array
    1 - 320 gb ide hd interneal
    1 - 320 gb ide hd in external Vantec
    1 - evga 7800gt
    xfi platinum sound card
    lite on dvd burner

I'm trying copying the tib file to the raid array now, then I will try to do a restore from the tib file to the ide hard drive. Assuming that I can get the computer to boot with both drives plugged in (see other post).

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

With a modern system like that, I'll assume the USB ports are Usb 2 and not 1.1. Try using all the default settings for compression, priority, etc. If that doesn't help, try making the BartPE cd and include the True Image plugin.
    This is definitely the weekend for strange situations with True Image.

3. Incog

Incog Registered Member

Yup usb 2.0. I will try the bartPE after this attempt with the tib file being on the raid array. I've been working on this close to 7 hrs today and I still don't feel good about ati. If I could just get a reliable recovery of my backup, I'd feel a lot better. Thank goodness for multiple computers and thanks for the reply - Happy Easter!

Inc

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Incog,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating does not solve the problem, please try booting with USB drive(s) switched off, and plug them in after Acronis Bootable Rescue Media has fully loaded.

Please also try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep drive(s) in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Ensure you are using the USB ports on the rear of your machine (i.e. those mounted on the MoBo). I have heard reports of poor quality flying leads from front USB sockets which can cause problems like this.

However, my best guess is that you have a Linux chipset/driver incompatibility and you should move to BartPE as soon as you can.

F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.