EXTREMELY Hidden File - Desktop.ini

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I'm not sure if this is a legitimate threat, but it concerns me.

For some reason the directory "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents" on my XP Home PC apparently contains a file called "Desktop.ini". I know this because my virus scanner (NOD32) told me the folder contained this file, but that it could not scan it because it was locked. :mad:

When I view this folder in Windows Explorer (with the option to view hidden and system files enabled), the folder shows to be EMPTY. :doubt: The properties of the folder, however, shows to contain a single file at 62 bytes.

Why do I feel this is a potential security concern:

1. My virus scanner cannot scan the file (desktop.ini)
    2. The file (desktop.ini) seems to be very hidden

A scan of the directory with TDS-3 shows a file to be there, and does not generate an alarm, so I feel a little better. But what's up with this hidden file?? Should I be concerned? o_O

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you might try looking here or here

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Hi, Big C -

Thanks. That explains it. I'm assuming that since Windows is designed to hide desktop.ini files, that this is not a security issue? And NOD32 not being able to scan this file should also not concern me?

4. bigc73542

It is a windows file and you don't have to worry about this one. But you did just what you should have done with a file or folder that you don't know about. You can always ask someone here and we will be happy to help. ;)

bigc

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Using the link posted by Big C, I was able to display the file (see attached). Thre are also two more entries that I was unaware of that seem to be two more directories within the .../Documents folder that are unnamed. Am I reading this right?

6. bigc73542

It looks like two empty dirs. and one with 62 bytes. I don't see anything bad. ;)

7. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks again, Big C ! :-*

I can sleep better tonight now, and that's where I'm headed now.

By the way, I did some testing with the DOS DIR command. Those same two entries that appear to be directories with the dots to the right appear on anytime I do a "DIR /a" command on any folder. So I'm not really sure what that means. I'm not as fluent with DOS commands as I should be. ;)

8. bigc73542

Anytime I can help.

bigc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.