Extra security software for my client notbook please advise.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SpeedyPC, Nov 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Registered Member

G'day,

My client has a HP notebook with W8 and he's not interesting in W8.1 happy with Classic Shell using windows firewall along side with Avast Free late version side by side with MBAM Pro & MCShield, and wanted to know it's worth it to install the latest Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) 4.1 on his notebook. I'm trying to get some information and feedback whether it's worth it to have it as part of his security set-up on his notebook, or it's enough what he's got now without over doing it installing the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) 4.1.

Chow! :D

2. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Your client can still use his Classic Shell in Windows 8.1, plus it's a major step up to Windows 8.

Why doesn't he want to upgrade to 8.1? It is available for free in the Windows Store.

Anyways, To keep thing's simple and powerful, I would run this:
    • avast! Free with High Detection enabled, PUPs enabled and Hardened aggressive mode enabled
    • EMET 4.1 set to Maximum security settings
    • Malwarebytes Pro if the client is happy with it, otherwise he would do just fine with using it as an On-demand scanner.
    • K9 Web Protection set to block malicious sites, just in case avast! might miss a few (You'll have to provide your client with the password, just in case a legitimate site is blocked, in which needs to be unblocked)
    • Apply Norton ConnectSafe as his DNS server (IPv4 settings) - This is to block even more malicious sites, as well as preventing DNS leaks from his ISP.

For McShield, I really don't think it's needed, considering that files on the USB can be scanned with avast! and Malwarebytes, as well as turning off Autoplay for USB media.

But, as for adding EMET into the mix, I think it's very beneficial to any security setup, especially if it can protect you from software vulnerabilities, that may potentially expose your system to exploits.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  3. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

On one my laptop behind a router I have EMET 4.0 and the latest Avast free. So far so good.

4. guest

guest Guest

Last time I paired those two, Avast! Free didn't like EMET. I suggest to test it first before you set it up.

Because the download size is big. I mean BIG, BIG! And not much of an upgrade either. It's very sensible to decline it.

5. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

What i know about EMET:
    - yes, it adds extra-protection;
    - it requires a somewhat large download of .NET Framework 4.0 (i don't know exactly how big);
    - It may break some applications, and so it may require some manual configurations.

That is the kind of protection i would add for myself, but not for a client. Unless i liked the endless phone calls, and home visits (or team viewer sessions) :ouch:
    My opinion and advice: Avast, MBAM Pro and MCShield are good enough. Keep it easy for your client and for yourself.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I hate that they remvoed the spacebar in the Metro GUI to open the complete list of apps.
    I was just getting used to it . . . Who the hell understands Microsoft!! #$%&/

7. ifacedown

ifacedown Registered Member

Letting MCSHIELD do the removable media protection is better than AVAST's automatic usb scanning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.