External USB drive does not show up during restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DCHANDLER, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCHANDLER

DCHANDLER Registered Member

I just purchased TI 9 on a CD. I have Win 98SE. I made a full image backup to a Iomega 80GB USB external HD. Verify image was turned on. Everything appeared to work well. I made the 8 floppy disks to boot from. I put in a new HD, fdisked, and formatted it. Plugged in the USB drive and then booted from the floppy disks. The "restore from" window does not show the USB drive, so I can't restore. All of the drives in the computer are shown. I can install windows on the new HD, so I know it's OK.

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

DCHANDLER,

Since you bought a boxed version of TI, it probably isn't the latest release (Build 3633). Therefore, put in your old HD (if still working), check the build you received under Help>About, register on the Acronis site and download the latest release. Uninstall the previous build and install the new one. Create a new Rescue CD or a set of Rescue floppies to use from now on (until the release of the next build, that is).

If your external is still unseen from rescue environment, try the following workarounds in connection with booting into rescue environment:

- apply the "quiet acpi=off noapic" parameter as detailed in the Please Read Before You Post sticky;
    - disconnect any unneeded USB devices;
    - don't use an USB hub, plug the external direcly, possibly to a rear panel port;
    - connect and power up the external drive before booting from Rescue CD/floppies;
    - wait for a minute on the selection screen to give time to the external to initialize (not needed with floppies);
    - boot into the Safe version of TI instead of the Full.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Check your build number to make sure your version is not 3625 or 3633. Note the note from support about a known problem with 98SE.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=767892&postcount=10

4. DCHANDLER

DCHANDLER Registered Member

My build is 2337. If I download the latest version will it be one that works?
    Am I stuck with a version that won't work until a new release comes out?

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Thank you GroverH for pointing that out.

I'm afraid my mind often skips info regarding pre-XP Windows. Before XP I was on DOS. :D

Build 2337 was the last one before the new engine introduced with 3567 (April 2006) and it should work.

You should try the workarounds then DCHANDLER.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  6. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

One more thing DCHANDLER,

When you restore a whole disk image to a new disk, you don't need to fdisk it beforehand - you can leave it blank. The restoration will overwrite all previous data anyway.

Restoring a single partition and the MBR (build 3567 and up) is a different matter. There, you should pay attention that that the MBR you are restoring (along with the partition table) matches the actual partition layout on the new disk.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DCHANDLER,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

If none of the workarounds suggested by bVolk helps then we recommend that you wait for the next build of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home to come out as there is a problem in the current build (3633) not allowing the program to function properly in Windows 98\ME (see this previous thread for details). Then please download it from the Product Updates section of your account at our web site, install the program, create new Bootable Rescue CD, boot your computer from this CD and see how the program recognizes your external USB hard drive.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing the latest build of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home.

If the problem persists with new Bootable Rescue CD then please try the workaraounds suggested by bVolk once again.

If none of them helps then please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt file is not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file name using capital letters (SYSINFO.TXT) or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.

Please keep your external USB hard drive connected while creating Acronis Report and Linux system information.

Please also let us know the exact vendor and model of your external USB hard drive.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.