Extending C: partition

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by tlccomsl, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlccomsl

tlccomsl Registered Member

I have a Win2000 SP4 server with a C: drive of only 140MB (yes, that is right!)...I need to give about 1GB or so from the D: to the C: I am using DD 9.0. This is a production server, but I have no other choice but to get some more space on there until I can get my new server in a week or two to keeps things running. I've removed everything I can off the C: drive (I386, page file, unistall files in winnt, etc). Have people been able to successfully increase their C: partition by using the "Increase Partition" wizard? I have not used this software before and I'm hesitant reading some of the problems some users are experiencing with DD10 and with XP...If you have any positive experiences with this, especially on a server, please let me know. Also, the server is configured in RAID5 using 3 disks...

Thank you!

Sara

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I wouldn't do anything until you've got the server backed up.

I haven't tried it, but it has been reported here that using DD in manual mode is more likely to succeed in some instances than using the wizard.

Colin

3. tlccomsl

The server's only function is to run IIS and host an internal website, which the files reside on the D: drive, not C: drive. I'm not sure if I want to try it or not...I don't have anything I can test it on, unfortuntately...

ETA: In order to "Increase the Size" of an existing partition, can you simply take free space from a secondary primary partition, or do you have to have unallocated space somewhere? I have 2 primary partitions on this server C & D...no unallocated space or anything.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Yes, if you use the automated wizards they will take space from a partition of your choosing and add it to another partition of your choosing. But I concur with Bodgy about doing the steps manually because then you're sure of what the result will be.

As an example, assume that you have two primary partitions; C first and D second, and that you'd like to take space from D and enlarge C. Here's a post with some visuals to help describe this procedure:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=147133

5. tlccomsl

Thank you! I will look into it.

ETA: That does look promising...thanks for the information!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.