Export to DVD/CD won't function. HMMMM

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I can get the export to external usb hdd to work but the export to DVD/or cd won't work. It says wrong file name, which can't be as I've done it 4 different ways now with various file names etc and from different snapshots and still can't get it to work.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Maybe you disabled too many Windows Services.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Horus

Erik is right. FDISR needs a functioning Windows operating system, which you now longer have. Do you now seriously think anyone can try an help you with any problems.

If I were to make suggestions, the first one would probably be a clean install of Windows.

Pete

4. ErikAlbert

Horus,
    You are putting the horse before the cart. Try FDISR first in a NORMAL Windows environment and don't touch anything in Windows before you know exactly what you are doing.
    FDISR works UNDER Windows. So you don't fool around with Windows.

FDISR is working fine on my winXPproSP2-computer, including export on DVD/CD.
    So there is no problem with FDISR.

5. Horus37

You guys are a bunch of clowns. :D Maybe you're too scared to try and disable unnecessary services and find it daunting to troubleshoot that but I don't. It's rather straight forward and easy. I can see how you might think it could be from turning off services but your suggestion to do a clean install of windows is just plain o_O . I'm just glad to hear someone else has it working on an XP machine.

I installed some DVD buring software that I can burn DVD's with now and perhaps it has taken over the file association from FDISR somehow. I've already burned 2 dvd's of 2 different FDISR snapshots using the DVD burning software since I couldn't get FDISR export to DVD to work. Everything went fine using different software to take an FDISR archive from an external usb hdd and burn it directly to DVD. I'll keep poking around.

6. ErikAlbert

These questions were probably to difficult for Horus. :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Trying to make a point Horus. Sure it is easy to disable services, but sometimes the consequences aren't immediately obvious. Maybe you are running fine, but when you run into problems with a particular program, try ing to trouble shoot and help you under these circumstances is impossible, as the problem may well be self inflicted.

8. Horus37

Well If I could get the export to dvd to function with FDISR I could tell you the time difference.

As far as it being possible to copy/update an archive on DVD I haven't tried it yet. You?

9. ErikAlbert

I've tested the export (including import) to CD's myself and it worked flawless. If it works for CD's, it certainly will work for DVD's too. So there is something wrong on your computer.

It's a pity because it would be interesting to know the time-difference for other members, who like to use CD/DVD's instead of harddisks.
    I don't expect that export on DVD's will be faster than on harddisks, but is it an unacceptable time-difference or not ? That's what I like to know.

No, I didn't try it because I don't trust CD/DVD's.

My assumption is that a DIRECT copy/update of an existing archived snapshot on CD+RW/DVD+RW is NOT possible.
    If that is true, I don't see any benefit at all of using CD/DVD's, because the copy/update of an existing archived snapshot is the REAL advantage of archiving with FDISR.

Creating a NEW archive takes alot more time than copy/update an EXISTING archive.
    You only have to create a NEW archive ONE time, while the copy/update happens daily and that's why FDISR is the fastest form of archivement, I've ever seen. Nothing beats that.
    That's why I use FDISR as second backup (in case ATI fails), because it doesn't take much time to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.