Explore ATI2009 image on Echo enterprise server?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by a3p3g, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a3p3g

a3p3g Registered Member

If you create a backup image (.tib) file from a machine with Acronis True Image Home 2009, is it possible to explore that image on a server that has the latest version of Acronis Echo Server? (standard or enterprise)

Reason i ask is here is my home scenario:

I have a Vista Home Premium laptop that has True Image Home 2009 that i am creating backup archives from to a mapped drive on my Server 2008 server.

On that 2008 server i have the latest version of Acronis Echo Server to backup data off of there.

The issue i'm seeing is that the laptop will backup archives via ati2009 fine to the server. However i cannot browse that archive via Echo Server. It says the image is corrupt or the image is mounted. I've tested installing Echo Workstation on my laptop as an alternative to ATI2009 and that works fine.
    So i am curious if it is a known incompatiblity issue w/ viewing ATI Home images on the server product. Hopefully theres something i'm missing because this is the issue that is stopping me from purchasing the product beyond the trial period.
    any help would be appreciated.
    thank you

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Short answer, no!

TI2009 uses a different image structure to the Echo and previous Home products. Therefore Echo and TI11 etc won't see the tib files of 2009 as valid.

Colin

3. a3p3g

a3p3g Registered Member

thanks for the reply. thats too bad. bad development decision i would say though. you would think they would want to cater to setups such as how i have it. this only makes me look to competitor solutions. i have been going back and forth between acronis and genie backup manager so i may have to go that other route

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I think Acronis' logic would run thus,

If someone uses Echo Server, then they are probably in a business environment of some kind, therefore they will have Workstations rather than home PC's so an Echo server user would buy Echo Workstation. Of course these days the distinctions are getting less andl ess between the different setups.

From a coding point of view, I think the different imaging structures are due to - Workstations/Server environment, machines normally run tightly controlled software and certainly in large businesses all new software is evaluated in a controlled environment, this being the case, they don't have to cater for 'weird' setups. Home users OTOH, may have built their own machines, tweaked who knows what (or is it What knows Who? :) ) run a considerable array of utilties and have hardware combinations that in a large business environment are unlikely to exist together.

Colin

5. a3p3g

a3p3g Registered Member

i guess that makes good sense. However from a compatibility standpoint it would make more sense i think as a whole to keep it compatible across the product line. Ie. i know if i have a Symantec ghost (.gho) archive, i can manage that with most any of their Ghost products (new or old ).

I think the Genie product line might be a better option for my setup. One huge feature is the self extracting option so that if i need to restore backups i dont need to install the product first.

thanks for your help anyways!

6. thorazine74

thorazine74 Registered Member

I found a similar problem being unable to open a home image with the server version that I posted about in some other thread.
    I think Acronis logic of using different file formats for home and server products line will prove to be wrong in the not so distant future when the barrier between what is a "home" machine and what is an "enterprise" machine will probably become even more blurrier than todays.
    Anyway even the fact that enterprise True Image *creates* different format image archives than Home versions doesnt stop from adding a compatibility option to *read* them. Just think about it, even Microsoft Word 2007 lets you open Word 2003 .doc files ;)

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

The appropriate request has been forwarded to our Development Team. The article about version compatibility will be updated as soon as possible. All required information will be available.

Thank you,

__

Oleg Lee

8. Mareser

Mareser Registered Member

Hi everybody,

Vice versa, is it possible to mount a .tib-file that was created with ATI Workstation Echo ( Build 8.018 ) using ATI Home 2009 on a WinXP operating system?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mareser and everyone interested,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

The success of such operation is not guaranteed. Please see this Acronis KB article for more information.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.