Explain this...!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Simon6776, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont believe it has nothing to do with your AV's, maybe high contention on your connection at the time, send a message to your ISP about slow speeds at certain times maybe?

3. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Run several tests at the same time of the day using each suite and then post new results.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i think thats a bit extreme elitekiller, i have used both kaspersky and more so f-secure, and my internet has never dropped in speed, especially not the massive difference shown here, it looks simply like high contention on your connection, or maybe a poor server connected on your speedtest.

5. Simon6776

I agree with C.S.J., it is a bit extreme, but it sounds like a good idea. It will have to wait until I am in the right mood, and have the time for suite swapping.

However, I am in doubt as to the reliability of the Speedtest.net test. I just did another test, with similar results:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/94539638.png

But a test with adslguide.org shows results more like I had earlier today:

Date 04/03/07 20:33:28
    Speed Down 2351.28 Kbps ( 2.3 Mbps )
    Speed Up 345.51 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )

I did several tests with KIS previously, and they were all much the same. I have already been onto Pipex several times, over my slow speeds, and each time, they say that it must be something to do with the BT line. They haven't really been very helpful, so I am thinking of leaving when my contract ends, but I can't figure out why speedtest.net should produce such wildly differing results, when using F-Secure. :doubt: Surfing speed is noticably faster, as is downloading, and HTTP scanning is enabled.

By the way, I don't know why I've gone back to F-Secure. The full system scan still doesn't work, even after wiping and reinstalling Windows, yet I'm still drawn to it. Must need my head testing! :D

6. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I use my speed pc lite edition (freeware) for testing speeds
    http://www.myspeed.com/pe/index.html
    .If you download the advanced ediion (15 day trial i belive) it allows you to set speed tests at any intervals,and it graphically plots the results.If you set it over a 24 hour period you can see at what times of day your speed actually is and where its fluctuating.I used it along with visualroute lite (also free)
    http://www.visualroute.com/lite.html
    and found that my slow speeds and packet loss were down to netservices who provided the wholesale broadband to my isp at that time.I dont think your speed problem is anything to do with your av ,and agree that its most probably your ISP or the bb wholesaler they use.
    ellison

7. Simon6776

Yeah, I did the test with MySpeed, and the results were 2.42Mbps down and 317Kbps up, which is about what it's been all along.

I wonder what it is that causes speedtest.net to give such inaccurate results, since switching to F-Secure?

Can someone else who uses FSIS2007 please try the speed test at www.speedtest.net, and see what your results are?

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont think the test site is that accurate, mine are all over the place.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/94567173.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/94568129.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/94569454.png

and they change dramatically from one to the next, yet i can download at 1250kbps no problem from newsgroups / good servers.

i know the london server on speedtest.net users broadbandmax, try accessing it through http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ and check your results this way, mine were different, and didnt jump around as much through this link.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7533/untitledij8.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  9. Simon6776

My results are still unbelievable though the bbmax test, given that I'm only supposed to be on 8mbps MAX:

Attached Files:

10. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Crap test.What do you think?

11. Simon6776

I think, if it looks too good to be true... it probably is. ;)

I would imagine it's something to do with the way the F-Secure firewall works. Perhaps it lets traffic through in 'bursts', therefore creating a false impression of speed? Dunno, just guessing, but it was a nice feeling while it lasted. :D

12. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

The BroadbandMax test is UK Local Only, I mean take a look at these stats (sorry no image software on Vista Yet)

Download 1750kbps (From UK to Australia)
    Upload 678kbps (From Australia to UK)

However on speedtest .net I get these results

Download 7741kbps (From Eastern State to Western State Australia)
    Upload 869kbps (From Western to Eastern)

And if I download from New York I get

Download 1930kbps
    Upload 819kbps

Evidently it all depends where you are located, if you use a Local server you will get Local results, If you use a Global Server, you will get the times and speed it takes to upload/download from that Location Geographically ;)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I think you're better off using the adslguide, now thinkbroadband, speed test. More accurate, especially if you're in the UK.

14. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

15. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

i think you should try finding a server that has 10M/100M/1000M files on the servers which have a random content so they won't be affected by the compersion and download the 100M file, after ia few minutes you should get a steady download rate, like this one for instance (try the 100M file): http://speedtest.netcologne.de/

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i got 1.00mbps on that 100mb file, not too bad if its located in germany.

17. Simon6776

I got 323.9KB/sec on the 100Mb download. :(

18. Simon6776

Well, mine are way out with that one: :eek:

Seattle
    Download Speed: 34742 kbps (4342.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 240 kbps (30 KB/sec transfer rate)

San Francisco
    Download Speed: 35094 kbps (4386.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 248 kbps (31 KB/sec transfer rate)

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i think your mis-reading your ethernet connection rate, as in post #9 you said you were on 'up to' 8mb max

20. Simon6776

Umm... I'm getting totally confused over this. This is what my download screen says when downloading the 100Mb file. Isn't this the download speed? :doubt:

Attached Files:

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes 318kb is your download speed on that file,

22. Simon6776

Well... that's crap isn't it?

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes it is crap download speed.
    it could just be a slow server thou.
    there are alot of factors to consider.
    server speed
    how many people are downloading from that server.
    your connection speed
    etc
    lodore

24. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

No actually its pretty average for a 8MB download rate, I'm on 20000kbps download rate at the tops I've had thus far is 1.18Mbps so taking into consideration your on 8000kbps I think thats quite exceptable ;) Your not going to get anywhere close to 8Mbps thats just wishful thinking, 8Mbps is the speed that your ISP wil push out the Maximum flow at one Single time, but with Traffic etc.. its highly unlikely you will ever see it, Unless somehow you can download when theres little to no traffic, but who know when that is.

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well my broadband 'Virgin Media' has always given me the top speeds as promised, although there will always be people who do not get what they pay for,

the download speed he posted is still poor for an 8mb connection, however his attenuation might be poor, or there may be sound on his adsl line (im guessing you are on adsl here and not cable) and this might not be his connection speed, as it usually states 'up to' 8mb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.