explain this to a newbie please

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Christine, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christine

Christine Guest

On the page about downloads for this site, one section reads:Subtile, no sound and
    sober

I am not at all computer savvy, being a 40 something Mom, who didn't have computers in school-they weren't really for public use back there.

What does the word subtile mean?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Christine,

Actually, that is the same as subtle, and is a valid alternative spelling for it according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

For other people's benefit, this was a reference to the Wilders.org Downloads page. And, it is a description of one of the old Wilders screen savers. In this instance, I think the description is really saying that the screen saver is low-key, not overly flashy, reserved, simple.

You'll find a lot of valid (and some not so valid ;) ) alternate spellings for English words here (assuming you may be an English speaking American), as Wilders is an International Forum and more than half the people who particpate here do not have English as their primary language.

Here is an interesting read on possible language issues that may occur from time to time here at Wilders:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=11108

I hope that helps to explain the reference, :)
    LowWaterMark

3. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Hey, LWM - do I detect a wee addition in your life? If so, congratulations!! :cool:

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually Peaches, I think that might be a false positive detection. :blink: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.