Exclude from Web-Access scan? HTT****.tmp files

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mixim, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixim

mixim Registered Member

Hello guys!

Recently bought an brand new SSD as my OS-drive. The thought is now to minimize writes to the drive....

But i recently discovered that when i browse with Chrome on Windows 7 32-bit and have Web-access protection enabled there are a series of temporary files named HTT****.tmp ... They get deleted after closing a page. But the write, and therefore harm is still there.

Now, is there a way to stop NOD32 from doing this? Exclude Chrome using NOD32 4.2 ? Or at least a permanent way to disable web-access protection? (Have to disable it every boot)..

I would rather have all this temp-data written to the RAM that we all have in abundance in todays computers! There should be an option! ...

I have also had the problem before, of theese TEMP-files not beeing deleted after use and clogging up the tempfolder, that was solved by a fresh install of Windows and NOD32...

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Currently the only solution to avoid creating temp files is:
    - disabling http/pop3 checking in the main setup
    - disabling archives/sfx archives/runtime packers in all modules
    However, we don't recommend doing so as malware could infect your computer. Windows and other applications also create temporary files so the question is if saving a couple of dozens/hundreds of write cycles actually pays off.

3. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

If the OP has a drive and OS which support TRIM then the write cycles produced by TMP files won't make a huge difference, as they will be fairly minor in the grand scheme of things. Internet Explorer temp files, page file, Office ~tmp files etc....

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  4. mixim

mixim Registered Member

Ok off course I understand, even if I would want to take that risk... It seems there is no way of permanently disabling http/pop3 checking ? When done once, it resets after boot being enabled again.

Actually, these tempfiles and writes are relatively substantial, especially when browsing youtube/vimeo alot... when i had the bug where they weren't deleted they gathered up to about 15gb every 4 weeks.

I've got TRIM support across the board, but it is not well supported by the default windows 7 drivers för AHCI yet.

5. corpx

corpx Registered Member

Is there any way to change the temp folder used by nod32? I dont want my C:/ drive being filled up by these things.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can set both the user and system temporary folders in Windows system settings. Temporary files are supposed to be deleted immediately after they've been scanned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.