Ewidoguard.exe 100% CPU

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by WilliamP, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have the paid Ewido with the latest updates. This afternoon I came home to find my computer very sluggish,so I went to task manager and Ewidoguard was pulling 100% of the CPU. I opened Ewido deactivated realtime protection but it made no difference. So I rebooted and it started behaving itself. This is the first time Ewido has given any trouble. I don't know what caused the problem. Has anyone else had this to happen?

2. Karl G

Karl G Guest

William,

It happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Uninstalled / reinstalled...and all has been well since.

Give it a try.

Karl G

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Sometimes it happens with me too...

I hope that these kind of issues could be fixed in the next version...

4. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Since I rebooted there has been no problems. The only hint that I had was on shutting down Gadwin print screen didn't want to respond. That was unusual. But I don't know if that had anything to the Ewidoguard problem or not.

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I need to format my computer in about a week or 2 weeks, and hope that this didn't happen...

6. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Yep....Had DL'd Ewido and while I still had the trial (inc. real time protect) I 'felt' my system was a bit sluggish. No evidence of it in Task Manager, however, just felt slower. so I turned it off. Kept the scanner though!
    Buck.

7. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

Well i have not had any problems with ewido.But i did stop using the realtime ,because i also had a somewhat sluggish feel.

Right now im using f-prot realtime with kas 5.0 as backup on demand.I scan atleast twice aweek with ewido and so far it has found nothing,but niether has kas 5.0.

I build computers for friends and sold my last 2 at x-mas so this computer here is only an amd 1800 with 512 ram.I did not notice the sluggish feel when i had it on the amd 64 3200+ system with 1 gig of 400 fsb ram.

8. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

I have an AMD64 3200+ with 1GB RAM and ewido doesn't feel sluggish at all. However, my previous machine, an Intel 2.8C with 512 MB RAM did feel sluggish with ewido on. Wondering whether I should get BoClean instead for a colleagues Dell 700m

9. S!x

S!x Registered Member

Unfortunantly i have had trouble with Ewido as well ... The 2 thing's that really bother me about Ewido are:

(1) Its memory scanner
    I use Outpost Pro firewall ... and i like the excellent component control (DLL Injection Guard) it offers. Whenever i run a memory scan with Ewido it modifies the memory of several core components like svchost, winlogon ... etc ...which result in Outpost denying them access to the internet. Being on a cable connect that means i have to unplug my cable modem and reboot to get back online.

(2.) It installs a C Shell Hook
    Maybe that is just the technology it implements ... but the less hooks the better for me. TDS doesn't install one or Trojan Hunter or even Trojan Remover.

The reviews say it's a really good scanner ... just not my choice.

10. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

S!x,

How do you know that ewido modifies the memory of the various exe files? I have Tiny 6 and it would certainly alert me if ewido tries to do something funny.

Cheers

11. S!x

S!x Registered Member

When i hit the scan memory button in Ewido, i then get about 5 consecutive dialogue boxes from Outpost telling me "Ewido Security Suite" has modified the memory of svchost.dll (and about 4 other dll's) ... svchost.dll will be denied internet access until it is restarted"

I really don't know enough about Tiny's ability to comment on it.

Outpost Pro has a trial version if you want to test it with Ewido.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  12. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Nice to see others report this issue, which has been "well known!" to me for a long time.

I dealt with the Ewido 100% CPU usage issue for quite awhile, before giving up and simply removing the Ewido Guard component. For me, the issue mainly occurred when loading web pages in Opera.

I can tell you that your uninstallation and reinstallation of Ewido did not fix anything. If the problem hasn't recurred since doing that, it's only happenstance; kind of like how the issue didn't happen for the OP until "one day".

I have too many things going on to help diagnose this issue. For those who may be more able to help than I am, I recommend contacting Ewido support.
    -

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.