Ewido memory usage during scan.

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by tansu, Dec 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tansu

tansu Registered Member

Greetings,
    I am a loyal ewido user and I am very glad using it.
    But in my Turkish forum there is a topic like this and screenshots. One of our moderators posted this and I want to show to you. It is spending 280MB from the memory, during scan. What is wrong do you think?
    http://www.doctus.net/index.php?topic=666.0
    Regards

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  2. kemikkurdu

kemikkurdu Registered Member

Hello

This problem happened to me. While i'm making a design with Adobe Photoshop i started ewido scan. After a few minutes everything started to slow down. And i try to look task manager to find the problem. Then i saw that screenshot. I was shocked :)

If it didn't happened to me, i would say that is a joke.

What is wrong with my ewido or Windows?

3. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Did it stay like that? Could you please try a scan without the archives-support?

4. kemikkurdu

5. TouchuvGrey

TouchuvGrey Registered Member

I downloaded and installed Ewido a few months ago shortly after DCS TDS-3 was discontinued. I liked it and would have kept it except that it caused my computer to slow to a crawl and sometimes lock up completly while running a scan. Genuine Intel P4 2.53 ghz, 512 meg ram.

Mike

6. kemikkurdu

I don't understand why anybody didn't answer. Are sure that this is an official Support Forum?

7. peter.ewido

Such a high peak memory usage is quite normal as the ewido engine does everything in-memory to avoid having to create temp-files... For example unpacking archives etc.

8. TouchuvGrey

It's normal for a computer to lock up when using Ewido ?

9. tansu

tansu Registered Member

I think it is not casual using, it is scanning. Time to time people get have to scan in safe mod,which you are unable to use your OS like you get used to.

10. TouchuvGrey

I should have been more specific in my question. I should have asked if it was normal for a computer such as mine ( Genuine Intel P4 2.53 ghz processor, 512 meg ram ) to lock up and freeze while running a scan with Ewido. By lock up i mean, i start the scan before i go to bed, and when i get up the computer is stopped dead in the middle of the scan.

Mike

11. peter.ewido

No, that's not normal and is often caused by faulty hardware e.g. RAM, overheating CPU etc. as ewido anti-malware sometimes stresses the hardware more than other scanners (e.g. when the emulation has to run). You should check your computer with tools like memtest86, you can find a very handy bootable cd including these tools at: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com
    Hope this helps :)

12. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

I had trouble with Ewido before I reformatted. It would get about 60% through a scan then suddenly shut down. My system's a P4 3.0 with 512 megs of RAM. After the format, everything was fine. It seems you need a fast comp with everything ship shape to ensure the scanner runs smoothly.

13. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

Well, I suppose only problems get posted and I'm not saying that some people don't have problems. But ...I would have to disagree with the last statement (but not the shipshape part :) ).

On my (self built) relatively ancient computer, AMD 1.33 T-Bird, 512 ram, I've had no problems either with RAM usage or CPU usage. I run with everything active - realtime protection, automatic updates and guard installed.

No noticeable slowdown in browsing or opening applications, as some have reported elsewhere. I guess if I “felt” I had slowdowns I'd be looking at Task Manager too.

Complete system scans on my system are amazingly fast, comparable to nod32, of around 6 minutes. I been using Ewido for about 8 months and the last time the HD was reformatted was about one year ago.

Hope this helps, because I would assume this is the performance you should be seeing if everything was “OK” with your computer. But, then again, everyones configurations are different. So, ... YMMV.

Regards

14. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Indeed very often bad memory is the cause of problems, IMO a RAM-check is the first act to execute.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.