ewido found newdotnet dll, does Windows need this file?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by SonyaM32, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

Hi :)
    ewido found newdotnet, and when I restart my computer, Windows says module cannot be found o_O Does Windows need this file? Here are pics of what comes up when I start Windows and what is in quarentine.

Attached Files:

2. SonyaM32

Re: ewido found newdotnet3_88, does Windows need this file?

Here is what is in quarantine.

Attached Files:

3. SonyaM32

I see it is installed in ADD/Remove programs as New.net Domains 3.88 o_O
    Should I uninstall it? And how did it get there?

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

NewDotNet installs without your knowledge or permission. Unfortunately it messes with your Winsock system and can therefore affect internet connection.

http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000030.html

http://www.pchell.com/support/savenow.shtml

I think your first try would be to use Add/Remove programs, but Symantec have produced a removal tool which may help:-

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.ndotnet.html

You should also look at ewido's Analysis section, where the LSP Viewer tab may indicate whether you have a broken LSP that can be repaired.

I think the message you got was because Rundll.exe was attempting to run the NewDotNet3_88.dll, but found it was missing after ewido quarantined it.

5. SonyaM32

Thanks!
    I uninstalled it from Add/Remove, but it said it was already uninstalled. I also run the scan from the link you gave and it didn't find it, so I guess ewido took care of it :)
    Although that still comes up (in the first pic) when I start Windows.
    Thanks again!

6. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

SonyaM32,

That error (in the first pic) means that somewhere on your system there is a request for "newdotnet" to startup therefore you need to find where it is and get rid of it. Ewido got rid of the program, DLL but a request for that DLL is still somewhere and is trying to start and of course Windows can't find it because ewido (thankfully) got rid of it. Some of these folks can help you more than me. So If I were you I would not quit trying to get rid of it yet, but keep asking until you find out how to get rid of that resquest to start. Seems that the "newdotnet" may be gone, but not all the left overs.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

7. SonyaM32

Thanks!
    Ya, I hope someone here helps me find whatever it is that's causing it to come up. :) Even if it doesn't mean anything, it's still aggrivating, lol :D and I would rather get rid of it because I don't want any of it left on my computer :)

Can someone please help me find whatever is causing that message to show at startup?? :)

8. TopperID

One thing you can try is to click 'Start'/'Run' and type Regedit then click OK.

In Regedit you click 'Edit'/'Find' and then type a search for NewDotNet3_88.dll.

This may throw up the correct Reg Key you need to edit by removing referrence to NewDotNet3_88.dll. You need to delete the NewDot value in your Registry that is causing Rundll.exe to search for the file each bootup.

9. HelpFromFrance

SonyaM32,

I would try to help, but I work in Window's French version and I would be affraid to try and translate things such as that. I do know you need to be careful if you do not know for sure what you are doing in the registry, you can delete the wrong thing and then have problems. That is why I prefer someone helping you that is working with an English version.

Hope you understand,
    HelpFromFrance

10. SonyaM32

Topper and HelpFromFrance, thanks to you both :)

Topper, I did what you said and this is what came up. Exactly how do I delete it, and which one? o_O
    Thanks so much! :D

Attached Files:

11. HelpFromFrance

SonyaM32,

Now that you have found it, fairly simple to delete. Just move your mouse arrow over the selection where the "newdotnet.dll" is listed right click and look for delete. That should do it. You might want to make another search and make sure that there are no other places it is listed.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

12. SonyaM32

Oh my :) I did that and when I went to restart, my Windows would not load at all :eek: The only thing that would load was the wallpaper and the mouse pointer, and I waited for a while but it never would load, and I tried re-starting and unplugging, and waiting. So I had to use the cd that came with my computer to restore Windows back to like the day I bought the computer.
    But that's ok, because my Windows had been crashing on me alot here latley anyway, so I'm kind of used to it lol and I have a list on a paper of everything to do to get everything back. :)
    So it's really no big deal and it's a chance I took when I deleted the file.
    I just have a whole night and a few days of work to do now, lol installing all the drivers and getting SP2 and all my other progs. I'm just glad it detected my internet settings. :)
    But at least I probably don't have NewDotNet for the moment, lol :cool: Thanks for all your help, and do you know why when I deleted NewDotNet3_88.dll it caused my Windows to crash o_O

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  13. TopperID

Oh boy, that's unfortunate; I'd have liked to have seen the whole Reg Key tree before advising on this one. For future referrence though, always remember that before messing in the Registry you should back up the Key you are editing. You do that by selecting the Key in the left hand pane and clicking 'File' on Regedit's toolbar, followed by 'Export' which will enable you to save the Key at a location of your choice. If anything goes wrong you simply reverse the process by clicking File/Import and thereby putting the Key back again. However, since windows crashed, I'm not sure whether that would have helped in this case!

The other thing is that because this was a default value, you could have clicked 'Modify' (instead of delete) and just removed the value data from the box that pops up.

I don't know what the Key 'Tree' was 'cos it's not visible, nor do I know whether there would have been a default value data set that should have been used to replace the data deleted. However if you were having windows problems anyway, then there could have been other issues; so perhaps re-installing was going to be required at some point anyway.

14. SonyaM32

Thanks Topper :) but hopefully I won't get newdotnet or anything like it anytime soon, lol
    But it's good to know in case there is a next time, but like you said, since this time Windows was gona crash anyway, backing it up wouldn't have done any good anyway.

I just now got SP2 back on here after 3 hours of it downloading :D
    I really need to go buy the Windows XP CD for in case anything like this happens again, so at least it can install over what I have now instead of wiping the hard drive clean of all my stuff, lol :D
    Thanks! :)

15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

So you don't have to download SP2 again....Microsoft still offers the Free XP SP2 CD and should only take a week or so to arrive.

Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD

16. SonyaM32

Thanks Bubba! ;) I'll take a look at the site now :)

17. HelpFromFrance

SonyaM32,

I am so sorry, you see I should have kept my mouth shut, but thought I could help. :oops: I hope you are not too upset at me.

Have a better day,
    HelpFromFrance

18. SonyaM32

Nope :) Not upset with you at all. It's not your fault, it's mine, because you said you don't work with english version and I went and listened to you anyway, lol (you warned me about the english version above )so it was me, not you! Trust me, I am not upset! :) :D

P.S I am about finished with installing everything now, and I am used to it from Windows crashing so many times before so it's really no big deal to me :D

19. HelpFromFrance

Sonyam32,

That is so nice of you, I feel bad for you; the only thing good I guess is that you are sure to have "clean windows" now. And with the new ewido and other things, maybe they will protect you more this time. Again, I am so sorry and hope you the best.

Bonne journée et bonne continuation!! :D
    HelpFromFrance

20. SonyaM32

Exactly, I got rid of a bunch of useless programs that I recently installed that was taking up alot of memory and drive space and was causing my computer to run slow.
    Now I have almost the whole C disk space free ;) ;) so I say it was a good thing. Now I just have to get the rest of my scans back, and printer and cam drivers and then I think I'm finished :):D :D
    Also, ewido did not find NewDotNet this time, lol
    Thanks! :cool:

21. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Sonya,

Justa thought here...
    Perhaps you should invest in a program like FD-ISR
    First Defence-Instant System Recovery. You will never need to re-install Windows again. You can just revert back to a clean snapshot of your system. Now that you have a "clean install" it would be an ideal time to try this program.

www.Raxco.com

just my $00.02

...screamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.