Evaluating my Potential New Setup

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Brandonn2010, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I have had AppGuard for a while now. It is a fantastic program with a DefenseWall/GeSWall/etc. level of protection.

However, partially due to a tiredness of having to set it to install for every program installation or update, all the little things it blocks, plus a desire to have a truly free setup, I will probably replace it with NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro Free.

I was wondering, if I do this, if there are any uncovered areas I should worry about. In addition to NVT ERP, I would still use:

- Administrator account without UAC (I prefer the usability over the security a SUA would offer).
    - No Java installed
    - Foxit reader instead of Adobe

- Chrome with AdBlock PLUS and DoNotTrackMe
    - BitDefender Free
    - MBAM and/or HMP for on-demand scans

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. Looks solid. Some Recommendations.

1ST: EMET 3.5 (Tech Preview) should be installed. Great little mitigation app and it's FREE.

Sumatra PDF is another free alternative. But I'm not sure it has a sandbox like Foxit Reader, can anyone confirm?

Add Https Everywhere, Element adblock

I use both, I'd recommend using the PRO version of MBAM for the URL filter. It's saved me a few times. Also add Emsisoft Emergency Kit to your on-demand setup.

3. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

@ComputerSaysNo

Sumatra PDF does not have a sandbox.

4. Thanks for the info, Fox-It has a sandbox I do believe?

5. Brandonn2010

What are the benefits of EMET over ExploitShield? I believe there was a thread comparing the two but I can't find it.

6. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

No problem. Not sure about Fox-It. I hadn't use it in years.

7. Use both, they seem to get a long well with each other from what I've read. I only use EMET though, I think that's enough for web facing applications.

8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Trust manager is sort of like a sandbox. But to be in the safe side is probably better to use SBIE to sandbox PDF files. SBIE and Foxit work very well together.

-http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/security.php-

Bo

9. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

I believe you don't need Foxit. Chrome has it's own PDF viewer, unless you need something with more options.

10. siketa

siketa Registered Member

If 3rd party viewer is not installed, how is he supposed to view pdf files that are already on hard disk?

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You can change the file associations for pdf files so that Chrome is the default viewer, and it'll work fine....

12. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Thanks for the tip.
    :thumb:

13. southcat

southcat Registered Member

Hello. How about Comodo Firewall and Sandboxie, they all have free version and browser add-on, can consider bitdefender traficlight also.

Regards
    Southcat

14. Brandonn2010

I would use COMODO FW but there are compatibility issues right now, and I don't like Sandboxie. Plus the free BD already has web blocking the same as TrafficLight.

And thanks Kerodo for the tip earlier about opening PDFs in Chrome.

15. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Great idea! Thanks.

16. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Yeah for an unobtrusive and light set up, I don't see a point of using 3rd party firewall or any kind of hips. You might as well go back to AppGuard.

What you got above is pretty much what I have set up for my parents, except instead of BitDefender I gave them Avast with all the shields on. Not sure if BitDefender will block scripts or not, I am pretty sure it will thou.

17. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Stick with AppGuard and the updaters to your power Apps. No need fo rNVT, when you have SRP on Windows 7 Pro

18. rodocop

rodocop Registered Member

I suggest to replace Chrome with Comodo Dragon - the same browser but without private info upload to Google and with ability to use secure ComodoDNS for web content filtration...

19. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

But without the sandboxed flash player and pdf reader...

20. rodocop

rodocop Registered Member

Yes. But topicstarter uses Foxit with it Safe Reading mode. Also it's possible to add pdfreader-functionality by copying 1 file (pdf.dll) into Dragon's folder. And if you really need sandboxed flash - you could get it in Dragon too (not too convenient, I know).
    It's a matter of choice - what you need more. Anyway, I'll give some links that can help in making this choice:
    http://www.thesimplecomputer.info/comodo-dragon.html
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/con...wser-against-malware-and-privacy-concerns.htm
    http://forums.comodo.com/help-cd/comodo-dragon-and-flash-player-t77248.0.html

As for me I don't use as default and don't recommend Chromium's at all. I use portable build of K-Meleon ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.