Essential Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by daveiw, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveiw

daveiw Registered Member

Hello, I am a happy user of TI version 8 and have been for a long time. I now see that version 10 is available, is there any real value in my upgrading to version 10 from 8, or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You probably know better than we do. If TI8 is doing everything you want and you are not saying I wish I could do "xyz" with TI, then there is no reason.

3. daveiw

daveiw Registered Member

Hehe, that's a good answer, however I was wondering; am I missing anything, ie. is it a smaller footprint, better compression, anything worthy of mention really...plus I wanted an opinion of the people 'at the coal face' as it were, not the blurb on the website.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Much bigger footprint. AFAIK same compression. A lot of "features" some which work and some which don't.

It's your call.

Xpilot

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I have stopped at TI9 but the new things it offered were a Files and Folders backup where you could selectively backup files instead of being restricted to a whole partion image. However, it runs much slower because it uses the XP file system instead of going directly to used sectors.

A possible handy thing is that you can specify an automatic validate after the archive is created from within the create wizard.

Direct writing to DVD. I have no use for it and would sooner write my archives to a HD and then if I wanted it on DVD, use Nero, Roxio or whatever to burn it.

Don't think compression is changed. Footprint is not smaller because of added features. Also, the distribution file includes the plug-in for making a BartPE bootable CD should you need it because of driver problems with the regular TI bootable rescue CD.

You can do differential as well as incremental backups. I don't think TI8 had differential.

No doubt there is support for newer hardware than you have in TI8.

TI10 is supposed to backup Outlook and some funny, IMO, backup of applications settings. Since I only image, I could care less.

In TI9, build 3567, they changed the "engine" which resulted in a different format for the tib files. The new engine can read the older archives OK. Just what improvements resulted with the new engine that you don't have, I don't know.

About all I can tell you.

6. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

The most useful new feature for me is the ability to create a backup task, such as a scheduled daily image, tell the program I want to keep “X” number of images for that task, then have it delete the oldest when it reaches the number specified.

7. daveiw

daveiw Registered Member

Thank you very much, much appreciated, so for now I may carry on as is.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Along with all the advises and descriptions gived above I would recommend that you check at the following threads describing some new features of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=153377
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=874797&postcount=5

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home to see how the software works on your computer.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.