essential freeware

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I'll recommend the one with AFPL Ghostscript. This will deliver better quality...

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Agreed on the APFL, currently though I am using the version 8.1 RC1 and it also works real good.

3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Nick R, I will take your word for that, and yes that is what I meant, XP's very own quick launch. And if someone had the balls to blatantly hijack the name of one of XP's features in that manner, I for one, would not mind seeing Microsoft go to town on them.

But let's not get carried away with pro-Microsoft rhetoric here. All I'm saying is it is free, configurable, and efficient.

24-we, First I'll say that your screen looks very nice from what I can see of it. I have implimented space scenes before, and let me tell you, all of my on-screen icons were in on the charade. Yes, the Enterprise was an icon, and all manner of klingon, Romulan, Ferengi, ect as well as star bases satelites comets. Still, I didnt have your slick background. I usually am happy with what I have until I see someone with something that I just HAVE to have. I saw one of the Iceni's that lurk around here have the word "Iceni*" where Bill said there should be the word "Start". So I asked how, and the rest is history....only...I have the enterprise logo...Hah!

As far as customizing this and that, everything is preference. Not to be criticle, but my current rule is no icons on the desktop period. I like the cleaner look and the ability to put wallpaper there. Yes Just a humble picture, and my quick lauch.

What I like is to have my 43 Quick Launch icons where I can see them. The majority are linked to applications. Yes, I do have some folders too. They are not identicle, and they are not manilla either. I'm not saying that I'm lazy. I will click start and then one of the addition 34 icons there, but I have gotten used to 90% of the time seeing and clicking.

*** in a rare moment of soul searching I think ***
    I can't believe I am sitting here defending my
    Quick
    Launch
    icons.

Dammit, I love my quick launch icons. Just leave me along so I can launch in peace!

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQUUUUUUUUUUUIIIIIIIICCCK LAUNCH!

- HandsOff

Here's a program for you might like. I hate it when my programs have meta data and i have no clue and no say on what they are. Its like my own programs are out there talking about me behind my back. OKay check this. It not only lets you view, but you can edit. Notice the nice interface. I am liking this!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  4. hadi

hadi Guest

Crimson Editor
    http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

5. hadi

hadi Guest

DIALux 4.0
    http://www.dial.de/xe/index4.html

6. hadi

hadi Guest

The NetBeans IDE 4.1
    http://www.netbeans.org/products/ide/

7. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi all here's a few more for you.

Freefile + WhoLockMe- find what process has locked a file

Cannot delete file: Access is denied
    There has been a sharing violation.
    The source or destination file may be in use.
    The file is in use by another program or user.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

If you've seen any of the above messages and wondered what program locked the file, here is a utility for you: FreeFile. Freefile will track down the offending process and, optionally, kill it for you. Some readers may already be using WhoLockMe, a similar program.

Either one is invaluable when this situation occurs. The difference between them is: WhoLockMe is an Explorer extension which must be installed before use, while FreeFile is a simple standalone executable that you can just open and run - no installation on the target computer is necessary.

http://www.dr-hoiby.com/WhoLockMe/index.php

Freefile

This software is developed by GrubleTrang Corp

You must have the .Net Framework in order to run this program.

http://grubletrang.com/Software.aspx?app=FreeFile

Loads of GRAPHIC stuff and tweaks etc on here.

Collected tweaks & links to change the look.

http://www.virtualplastic.net/

StevieO

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Ever wondered why your hard disk is full? Or what directory is taking up most of the space? When using conventional disk browsing tools, such as Windows Explorer, these questions may be hard to answer.

With SequoiaView however, they can be answered almost immediately. SequoiaView uses a visualization technique called cushion treemaps to provide you with a single picture of the entire contents of your hard drive.

http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

9. roflmania

roflmania Registered Member

just a reminder, not all free stuffs come in handy.

im not being cynic but some program developers have something more than what you see up their sleeves.

10. hadi

hadi Guest

POV-Ray 3.6
    http://www.povray.org/download/

11. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I've been using this since Acrobat Reader v6 started getting heavy.

12. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Some... very few IMHO. They run the risk of being caught out, just look at the Sony DRM software issue that is in all the news at the moment.

One of the advantages of open source, rather than closed source, is that the source code is there for disection, so there is nothing to hide.

I always run new software assuming the worst is gonna happen (be it a bug or nasty intentional feature), too many people run/install software (legal or pirated) far too trustingly.

13. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Friends i am looking for some Video Editing Tools that you know of and of very high quality when burned to DVD. Cyberlink's magic directer is excellent and the end result's very professional also being very nice and simple but unfortunately on my computer it is very slow as this software needs a high end processor. So any help here would be much appreciated
    Many thanks in advance
    http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_49_ENU.html

14. HandsOff

Let us know what you find, Nick! I have tried editing video several times, but loose patience with it. Ulead was very efficient but it crashed me a couple of times.

- HandsOff

15. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Rolf,

at http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware?hl=en

about a 7 scrolldown

Spyware Alert: Goldfishfreebies
    Julian
    Nov.11

Regards.

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

17. RipVanTinkle

RipVanTinkle Registered Member

I stopped using Adobe Reader too :)
    Foxit does all I want it to do - so far

StevieO
    cheers for the VirualPlastic link. I got a good number of programs from
    there in the past but forgot all about it since upgrading my system
    earlier this year

18. dog

dog Guest

Yes but be careful if you install it it comes bundled with Foxit Security Suite ... it's labelled and you can opt out of it.

Attached Files:

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Tony,
    I downloaded it and installed a few months ago, but somehow it did not work. When I went to a PDF file Acrobat came up, and Foxit would never open and do the job. I am sure that it was something about the way I installed it or set it up, but I could never figure it out so I uninstalled it.

Jerry

20. HandsOff

Err..Dog...I'm sure you meant to say Foxie Security Suite. I don't know anything about FSS, however aside from the slightly sneeky install tactic, something about their graphic somehow seems a bit twisted to me.

Hey, Jerry, don't worry, I do feel silly mentioning these things because they are obvious, and from what I have read in your posts you are pretty good with a computer still...since in works quite well for me, possibly due to a newer version I will say them anyways. The most obvious is checking the folder properties in windows explorer and look up the .pdf extension and change it from acrobat to foxit, if necessary. The second one might not even apply, but I know that when acrobat is installed it will put somekind of helper file in your startup folder. I always take it out, but maybe if you don't, then it might be somehow activating acrobat.

Now for the big news. I downloaded a mindreading program. I will try it. If it works I will not tell anyone...who would?

- HandsOff!

21. StevieO

StevieO Guest

RipVanTinkle glad you enjoyed rediscovering them !

iceni60 does this mean that you've installed the Arcade Classic Arcade Pack and tested them now ?

I DL and scanned at Jottis again and this time got an all clear. Just a little concerned about the Foxie Security Suite that dog mentioned, even though it seems that you can refuse it !

StevieO

22. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

yes. i knew i should never have mentioned it and there had been problems with it, it's just i love Asteroids. anyway, all the games work fine apart from Asteroids :| the screen stays blank! has anyone else installed it? does Asteroids work? i may install version 3.7 and see if it works. it is clean though.

23. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

this is my favouite download manager. it reaches 3 times the speed of downloads without it and it will resume downloads at a later date, or if the connection is broken. it will support up to 8 concurrent downloads. A built in web parser even lets you download complete websites with all images and scripts in no time. the interface is very good, It also includes a full-featured FTP client to download, delete and manage files on FTP servers In addition, LeechGet provides many features, such a automatic downloading, resume of broken downloads, download timer, automatic hang-up and shutdown and more. there's a Firefox and Opera plugin too and lots of setup options e.g. automatically scan completed downloads.

if you are interested i would get it quickly because this is an older version to the one on the home page. the one on the home page only supports 1 download at a time.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/leechget.html

24. Arup

Arup Guest

There is another good, free and stable Freedownload Manager from www.freedownloadmanager.org which is still under development and supports almost all the functions of other paid download managers including mirror search, preview of movies while they are being downloaded and of course segmented fetching of file from different servers, you can also do FTP, virus scan on download and best of all, it supports unlimited number of concurrent downloads.

25. Mysterion

Mysterion Guest

You can play Asteroids, Pacman, Space Invaders etc. at Neave Games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.