ESS5 vs. Firefox 14.0.1

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by goingcraaazy, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goingcraaazy

goingcraaazy Registered Member

Hi there,

I have no idea what's going on here, I've just bought a new windows 7 laptop & installed a clean copy of ESS5 & Firefox 14.0.1, both with default settings, and something is hinky... I cannot download files with firefox, it goes straight to "cancelled" and if I resume the download it downloads but then deletes itself as it finishes. I tried going to "page info" to test saving an image from the media tab, it doesnt work at all, so next I installed the extension downloadhelper to grab a video of YouTube and it can't download files at all... so I tested internet explorer, it can download files no problem. On my old laptop I run ESS4 & Firefox 14.0.1 without any problems...

I managed to get firefox downloading files by going into about:config and setting "browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone" to "false", which seems to disable ESET scanning the files after download, but it still hasn't fixed the problem with DownloadHelper, or from the Media tab in Page Info.. and I'm not so fond of this solution, I want my downloads scanned - I've also tested Firefox in safemode & the problem continues... all this seems to indicate that the problem is indeed on ESETs end.

I'm sure it's going to be a firewall problem or something, but I have no idea what I should be tinkering with, and I figured I should come ask the pros before I make the problem even worse...

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

I've had this issue in the past with previous Firefox updates. My immediate thought is to reinstall Firefox and see if that helps. If not, uninstall ESS, check the download issue, reinstall ESS. If you can download without ESS but then can't again when you reinstall, please submit a support case request with ESET Customer Care and they should be able to get you going.

3. goingcraaazy

Thanks dwomack! :D

I tried uninstalling FF while I was waiting for a reply, completely uninstalled including removing settings. Deleted appdata folder to be sure it would be a clean install... reinstalled & still the same issues...

I'll try uninstall ESS5 now & see what happens... I'll be back to let you know shortly!

I'm thoroughly tempted to throw in the towel & go back to ESS4..

4. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello goingcraaazy (a small hint from a user)
    Have you tried the suggestions from "Firefox Help" regarding, What to do if you can't download or save files , if not you can give it a try. Just one more hint, try to choose a different download folder.
    HTH, Janus

5. goingcraaazy

Cheers Janus, I've tried all their suggestions but nothing helped :'(

I'm literally going madder by the minute...

Discovered Thunderbird wont save attachments, and I can't right-click to save images in Firefox either... this happens regardless of whether ESS is installed, and regardless of whether I use clean installs of FF & TB or I copy my mozilla profiles over from my old laptop...

At least I think I can safely say the problem isn't ESS any more, so I'll let this thread die - thanks everyone for trying to help! :D

6. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Cheers goingcraaazy

Even though it might seem that it is not related to Eset, then I would contact Eset customer care, (if I were you) and explain the situation . (they may ask for sysinspector log and so on, but they will guide you through) You can also refer to this thread, so they can see what has been tried. Nothing to lose but all to gain. :D

7. jscher2000

jscher2000 Registered Member

Firefox's post-download scan not only submits the file to your default AV, but also checks file policies set through IE. The "Canceled" notation is supposed to indicate that your Internet Zone is set to "High" rather than "Medium-High", or if it is not set to "High" that "Launching applications and unsafe files" is set to Disable (rather than Prompt).

In theory this should only affect executable files, but in some cases it appears to affect other files. That's the mystery.

In this case, because the download is canceled so quickly, it could indicate that Firefox's .part is considered an executable, which obviously is incorrect. Perhaps a registry search will turn up where that is set and confirm the theory.

In any event, the scanWhenDone feature arguably is obsolete and can be disabled with minimal harm. You should be using antivirus software with real-time virus scanning for all file writes including Firefox downloads. At the time this feature was added, a larger number of users may have been using freeware AV that only ran on request, but nowadays there's really no excuse for not having real-time AV, especially on Windows. So having Firefox trigger a scan should be unnecessary, unless you want to also apply IE security policies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.