ESS + uTorrent...best setup for safety?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Johnny812, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny812

Johnny812 Registered Member

ESS + uTorrent...best setup for passthrough/safety?

hey guys,

My zonealarm license ran out last week and I've just bought Eset Smart Security the other day. been playing with it and loving it.

I've reinstalled xp on my system, but i now want to set up utorrent as I had before. I have port 46578 forwarded correctly from my zonealarm days.

what is the best way of adding uTorrent to ESS while keeping my PC safe?

any help appreciated.

NB: I've googled around and some say its best to block ALL then open up the ports you want in a descending list of rules for utorrent. but HOW can I do this (they didn't mention it step by step)...and are they correct in saying that?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. Johnny812

anyone?

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

First, don't bump a topic until at least 24 hours after.

ESS and uT work fine together with 0 configuration, I use both and I haven't needed to change anything apart from adding a "X" in uT in the Web Browsers section of ESS. You are perfectly safe.

4. Johnny812

I know the general rules re: bumping, etc. just in a hurry with this. ESS wasn't adding uTorrent at all in v3 (unlike the rest of my programs).

I'm testing the 4 beta at the moment....much better!

"apart from adding a "X" in uT in the Web Browsers section of ESS"
    where is that exactly?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  5. Waterfox

Waterfox Registered Member

Go into the advanced setup (right clicking on the icon in system tray), on the left handside you'll find web access protection, then click on HTTP, HTTPs and then on Web browsers.
    In the list that appears on the right handside find uTorrent and put an X in front of it. Hit OK and you're done.

6. Johnny812

thanks waterfox! (and elapsed for the tip!)

7. Johnny812

what about limiting utorrent to a single local outgoing port? I tried adding port 46578 (its open in my router), but i just get loads of access popups from peers in utorrent. at the moment all ports are open. surely that's not safe?!

anyone got info/process for setting up a port like this?

8. elapsed

That's the way torrenting works. They may be opened, but firewall filtering is still commencing.

You shouldn't be getting loads of popups from eset, only two. (incoming, outgoing). What mode are you using?

9. Johnny812

i'm using advanced ui/interactive mode/allow sharing. I tried setting up the the port for the outgoing connections, but once i applied it, I got an even ratio of interactive popups:seeders (or so it seems). I've got my old zonealarm rules on the brain (they ran smoothly for the past couple of years with no glitches)

do i even need to be this picky re: open port? or should I just use the standard filtering? :|

thanks

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  10. elapsed

No you shouldn't obsess too much about open ports. What I do is I don't open the ports on the router, I use UPnP, whilst rebooting the router daily/every few days when it's not being used.

I use interactive mode too, it's not supposed to popup every connection, could you show me a screenshot of uT in your rules page showing the details?

11. Johnny812

This is with the port assigned. all i changed was the port for outgoing to 46578.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2a7g6es.gif

I'm keeping at the defaults as you suggested. so far so good it seems!

12. elapsed

What I suggest you do is uninstall uT and download the latest from the official website. Delete both rules, then run uT and let it re-create. It should end up looking something like this, notice my "Local side" states for every port not just 1.

ut.jpg

13. Johnny812

thanks for the info elapsed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.