ESS Killed MY Internet Connection

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Holden4th, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holden4th

Holden4th Registered Member

As soon as ESS was installed the little double screen in the task bar informed me that I had no connectivity via my ethernet port. After a bit of a play around involving switching my DSL modem off then on, trying to play with some of the settings in the program I eventually uninstalled ESS. But even this, plus a reboot, didn't solve the problem and I only got my connection back when I did a system restore (thank God I set one) from last night and now everything is working again with v2.7

My questions:

What did ESS disable when it installed? Was it part of the FW that did this? (I suspect so) and has anyone else had this problem.

I must admit that I did check one button as part of the install and maybe this caused it. However, I can't remember exactly what it was. I'm prepared to reinstall but won't until I get some answers about this problem.

2. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Strange thing. I reinstalled the apllication several times. All of them without any problems.
    Maybe try reinstall without checking something?

3. Meister

Meister Registered Member

If you disabled the firewall (put it on allow all traffic) would you get your internet connection back?

4. Holden4th

No, I uninstalled ESS and I still had no connectivity. I'll try another install tomorrow (after creating a restore point) and report back.

5. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Try lspfix before you re-install ?

6. Holden4th

Thank you. LSP fix reported no errors.

7. rapidus

rapidus Registered Member

yes, ESS killed my ADSL also this morning immediately after I installed ESS. The error report showed remote host address is wrong. I tried several methods but all failed. So I restored my ghost bakup, and use nod32 continually.

8. Meister

Meister Registered Member

Maybe it's an issue with DSL routers/modem? What manufacturer are yours?
    Do you have the windows firewall disabled?

9. Holden4th

Yes, this is exactly what happened to mine - I also tried a variety of combinations with exactly the same result. What does need to be noted is that EVEN AFTER UNINSTALLING ESS the problem remains and only by restoring to an earlier date can I correct this. I must admit I didn't think about the windows firewall, I'll check now. Yep, it was on (off now) but I don't see how this would affect it.

I'll give it one more try.

BTW, the Beta download wouldn't let me have a second go so I had to go back to the original download and save it to my USB drive.

10. Holden4th

OK, I've been through the whole gamut now and still no success.

The messages I received are:

ESS Personal Firewall is enabled but the proxy server could not be started. Application protocols (POP3, HTTP) will not function.

I do not use a proxy server but link directly to the Internet through my Dynalink RTA220 DSL router. In other words I am not networked to any other PCs.

When I went to repair the the connection I got this message

IP address could not be renewed

I tried typing both the IP address and the subnet mask address into the firewall settings but with no luck.

Maybe this is where we need Blackspear!!

Anyway, I'm not going to try this again. I will be very reluctant to get the Suite when it arrives. I'm happy with NOD32 and will get the upgrade to v3 when it's released - ESET can keep their firewall.

BTW, where are all the forum experts at the moment? I don't see them involved in this thread.

11. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

Try Winsock Reset.

Windows XP SP2 and Vista only.

Goto Start –> Run
    Type: cmd and click OK.
    Type: netsh winsock reset
    Press ENTER . Restart immediately !
    Note that there is a space between the commands , example netshSPACEwinsockSPACEreset

Most of the experts live on the other side of the ocean and are probably sleeping now.

12. Holden4th

Thanks - I've done this but I'll wait until the gurus wake up and see what they can offer before I try another reinstall.

13. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

We are all guru's

14. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Can you please explain in more detail how your Internet connection is set up? You mentioned you are using an ADSL modem and have an Ethernet connection. Does the modem plug directly into your computer's network interface, or do you have an intermediary device such as a router between the computer and ADSL modem?

If the modem is plugged directly into the computer, is there any special software which runs (PPPoE, PPPoA and so forth) in order to establish a connection to the Internet?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.