ESS Firewall prompt problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by nickster_uk, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickster_uk

nickster_uk Registered Member

Hi..

I'm using ESS 3.0.657.0 on x32 Vista Ultimate, the firewall is set to interactive mode. Every now and then when launching IE7, my homepage loads before the prompt appears. The only way I can fix is by either restarting or logging off and back on again...then the prompt appears before the page loads.

Have tried uninstalling, removing config files and registry keys then reinstalling but the problem still happens now and then.

Any suggestions would be cool.

2. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

say alllow and check the save my response box so it will build a rule....you should only be prompted on first launchi in interactive mode as long as you allow and save your response to a rule....

3. nickster_uk

Thanks for the suggestion but creating an always allow rule is not something I would like to do for my browser.

I don't mind using temporary rules which is what I usually do but the problem was with the homepage loading prior to any selections being made.

But...I have worked out that the problem was IE was loading a cached copy of the page so it wasn't really leaking any data and since creating a batch file to delete the cache every time the browser is closed, the problem has gone away.

4. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

so you have yours setup to prompt for Internet access every time? Maybe I am missing something here but you probably should allow that since there is real time protection/scanning unless you just like to see and respond to the prompt.

I mean if you are worried about an IE blast outbound because of a virus, I guess one would have to not trust the rt protection and whatever scans you have setup meaning something actually was able to get into your system.... for my default applications I have ruled them all and not had any trouble....new stuff I watch for a bit then create rules....

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does it happen with default settings?

6. nickster_uk

As much as I trust ESET's realtime scanner (and I really do think it's just about the best when it comes to AV protection)...I don't think any anti-virus protection is fool proof.

ESET/NOD32 has helped to keep my system malware free but I still don't take that sense of security for granted so clicking the temp box and selecting allow isn't much of a bother for me.

7. nickster_uk

Probably not...I don't think it is an ESET problem anyway as I mentioned before that IE was just loading a cached copy of my homepage. All the prompt was doing was calling for data for a weather plugin so as far as i'm concerned it's not a bug with ESET. No data was leaked.

Thanks for the reply though :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.