ESS Firewall, Leaktests?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by _Rupert_, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Rupert_

_Rupert_ Registered Member

Hey.

I'm currently a registered user of EAV (had a previous 2.7 license).
    I'm looking at getting a software firewall. My options are either Outpost Pro 2008 (which I know is possibly the best defense with Leak tests etc).

How does ESS fair?
    And also, what would it cost to upgrade a 2-user 3-year EAV license to ESS?

Thanks.

2. psychokilla

psychokilla Registered Member

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

ESS hasnt been tested by Matousec yet but I doubt it would do well.

Thus if you really care about leaktests go with Outpost.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

What about COMODO ?

Rupert , if you are from the UK , contact eset.co.uk or a local reseller for the upgrade from AV to ESS

5. _Rupert_

_Rupert_ Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

I've just filled in a report form thing from within the program to support asking about upgrading the license. Hopefully I'll hear from them tomorrow (or probably Monday). Shame I couldn't find anything on the website about it.
    Yeah, I'm from the UK.

Comodo is also a good choice, it scored the same on Matousec's tests and I believe it's free?
    I may try it. Only reason I mentioned Outpost was I've used it before etc.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

HiTech_boy - I only mentioned Outpost because the OP did. Comodo would be another good choice against leaktests. OA too.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No worries ;)

8. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

I've just been and did the shieldsup tests, passed in all tests.
    vista & ESS.

9. Palombaro

Palombaro Registered Member

I have done the first 10 leak tests on http://www.firewallleaktester.com/index.html
    on my XP system with ESS(set for interactive filtering) and it passed all 10.
    Seems that some of the comments made about ESS and leak tests are a little wide of the mark

10. Palombaro

Although it passed the first 12 tests on http://www.firewallleaktester.com/index.html
    It failed tests 14,15,18 and 19.
    I'll let those with more knowledge than me comment on the significance of those results

There is one caveat to some of the passes though. ESS detects some of them as leak tests eg Win32/Leaktest.Yalta Application and doesn't let them install so in fact the test is not done. What does this tell us I wonder? However most of the firewalls tested do the same . In short of the 19 tests I did , it passed 10, blocked 5 from actually doing the test and failed 4 outright.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This means that any malware trying to exploit the particular vulnerability should be detected and neutralized by the suite.

12. Palombaro

That is what I thought . Also if my very uniformed testing is to be trusted the results compare very favourably with the best of the firewalls tested. Maybe not the best but well up there.

13. ugly

ugly Registered Member

Just wait until matousec will test ESS.
    Unfortunately for ESET they use to disable AV module when testing so imagine the result.

14. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Just done the port test from shields up and my PC doesn't exist to the outside world. Well done ESS.
    However just failed the first leak test in automatic mode, but passed in interactive mode, all the others were stopped as potential virus's.

Also how can we trust a leak test that say's oh tough you firewall is like a leaky boat and then goes on to suggest only 2 products actually passed and low behold the bottom of the page has links to one of the vendors sites.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.