ESS 4 Blocking network communications

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by jhumur, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhumur

jhumur Registered Member

I have a wired home network between my desktop and my laptop. I'm running Windows 7 on both, x64 on the desktop and x86 in the laptop. On the laptop, I have ESS 3.0.684.0 and on the desktop ESS 4.0.424.0. My ESS 4 log shows endless list of the following messages:

5/9/2009 6:41:30 PM Communication denied by rule 192.168.1.100:55732 239.255.255.250:1900 UDP Block incoming SSDP (UPNP) requests PID=2604 NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
    5/9/2009 6:41:30 PM Communication denied by rule fe80::54b2:1eb7:2ea:584a.:55729 ff02::c.:1900 UDP Block incoming SSDP (UPNP) requests PID=2604 NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE

Every few seconds. Seems like its a legitimate system request. I have the IP/Subnet set up a trusted zone, so why would ESS deny this communication request? I noticed that a similar thread was posted earlier, but didn't find anything there to shed any light on this issue.

Any help would be appreciated. THNX.

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

It looks like the Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) traffic is being blocked by the ESET Personal Firewall. Here is how to unblock it, step by step:

1. Open the ESET Smart Security user interface by double-clicking on the icon in the system notification tray area. The ESET Smart Security user interface window will appear.
    2. In the ESET Smart Security window, press the F5 key to open the advanced setup dialog.
    3. In the left navigation window, select ESET Personal Firewall → IDS and Advanced Options to view IDS and Advanced Options in the right pane.
    4. In IDS and Advanced Options select (check) the Allow UPnP In the Truzed Zone option. The attached screen show shows the location.
    UPnP traffic should no longer be blocked by the firewall.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.