ESET SysInspector v1.1.2.0 released

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by agoretsky, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m3y

m3y Registered Member

Tried the safe mode using the Administrator's login (WinXP SP3 32b) - exactly the same crash.

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

That increases the chance that the problem is due to a kernel-mode and not a user-mode process, or at least something that runs across all accounts and not just the one you normally use to log in to the operating system.

While I check with the developers is there anything else you can tell me about the operating environment on the computers which is non-standard? Perhaps some additional security, system management, backup or data integrity tools that might be installed and running in the background?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. m3y

m3y Registered Member

Surprisingly, I've renamed the `hosts` file and the SysInspector started successfully.
    I've made some tests with hosts file and now, I believe, found the issue. I'm using editor which configured to use unix type line ending (\n) and SysInspector expects win style (\r\n).

4. agoretsky

Hello,

That is very interesting; I have not seen that before. Then again, I suspect most people who edit their hosts file use an MS-DOS (CR/LF style) text editor.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

6. secured2k

secured2k Registered Member

Is there an email or official feedback method for SysInspector?

I would like to request that SysInspect also check the following key as I had been beating my head in trying to find out how malware was starting... turns out it was an added "aux" key that loaded with WMI and Explorer.exe (and probably others).

The interesting thing about this is that once loaded, there were no references in memory or open handles to the file. Process Monitor just shows the image was loaded and threads were created.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Perhaps if you send a request to support@eset.com someone will have a look at it.

8. agoretsky

Hello,

Your enhancement request has been noted.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. secured2k

secured2k Registered Member

Thanks for the update!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.